Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > How does this make you feel . . . . ?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A. J. Deschene (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:32AM) (new)

A. J. Deschene (ajdeschene) | 34 comments Hey, Everyone!
I am working on a novel right now and have been for over 2 years, and I hope to publish it in December 2019.
The current working title is A Land of Burning Roses and it has worked for me so far.

But I feel like this title might not elicit the kind of impulse-click-response I want people to have when they first see my novel when it comes out; titles and descriptions are everything when selling your books because it's the only thing the potential readers can rely on when judging a book.
I have compiled a list of titles that complement the story and could have been chosen as my working, and may still have the potential to replace what I have now:

1. Protecting Anna
2. Protecting Anna Kelsington
3. Saving Anna
4. Saving Anna Kelsington
5. The Way of Burning Roses
6. Way of Burning Roses
7. The Way the Roses Burn
8. A Land of Burning Roses
9. The Green Ribbon
10. The Girl with the Green Ribbon
11. Battlecry
12. Anna Kelsington
13. And a Ribbon Sailed in the Wind
14. I Watched Her Cry
15. What Happened to the Birds?
16. And Then She Died
17. Out of the Fire and Into the Flames

What do you think? Which of these titles sounds the best to you? I won't express my personal feelings for the titles because I want your opinions to help guide my final decision.
If these were all books and you were offered one for free . . . judging by the titles only, which would you choose to take?
description

message 2: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 1010 comments I would like either 4 or 15.

message 3: by A. J. Deschene (last edited Jul 25, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

A. J. Deschene (ajdeschene) | 34 comments Lenita wrote: "I would like either 4 or 15."

I've got your advice written down to keep tally of the most popular titles.
Thank's for your opinions, Lenita!
description

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Beamer | 2 comments It's a little hard to weigh in without knowing anything about the book or genre (I would have a different preference for a suspense novel than a romance novel, for example). Speaking in general, though, I would lean towards keeping "burning roses" as part of the title. It creates strong imagery and makes me want to understand the title, so I'd be more likely to look at the book description, especially with a good cover (another critical element to getting clicks). Based on limited information, I think the best title is 5 or 8, but wouldn't want to choose between the two without knowing a little more about the book (and might possibly pick another one if given more info).

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Weintrob | 20 comments I like the phrase "burning roses" and would retain that. The working title is good and attractive to a browsing reader.

message 6: by Persnickety (new)

Persnickety | 13 comments Some combination of 1 & 8? Anna makes it personal and Land of Burning Roses adds intrigue. If I saw those together in a title, I'd stop browsing to read a description.

But... I'm just a generic reader and would totally defer to professional advice.

message 7: by None (new)

None (mondenkindediting) | 3 comments In my opinion the most interesting titles are "The Way of Burning Roses" and "And Then She Died". Each title sounds like it belongs to a very different book, however. If your novel was a mystery/thriller/suspense/etc. then I'd choose "And Then She Died", but for a fantasy fiction novel "The Way of Burning Roses" seems like the best fit to me.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments The original title sounds good to me I say you keep it as is.