Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Quick question

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan Schwartz (new)

Jan Schwartz | 26 comments Quick question readathoners. Are we supposed to read new books only? Or can we enjoy books we've already read and are rereading? Let me know ur thoughts. :-)

message 2: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Jan wrote: "Quick question readathoners. Are we supposed to read new books only? Or can we enjoy books we've already read and are rereading? Let me know ur thoughts. :-)"

You can read whatever you want! It doesn't matter! New to you, re-read, audio, graphic novel, whatever! :)

message 3: by Jan Schwartz (new)

Jan Schwartz | 26 comments Great! I decided last weekend to reread the twilight series. Fun, light stories.

What do u think about the reading challenge? Do books you've already read count there?

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:36PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Jan wrote: "Great! I decided last weekend to reread the twilight series. Fun, light stories.

What do u think about the reading challenge? Do books you've already read count there?"

Anything read (or listened to) during the reading challenge hours count including re-reads, I think.

Something you read or re-read during the week of but not during actual readathon hours, I don't think so.

message 5: by Jan Schwartz (new)

Jan Schwartz | 26 comments That's the general consensus. Thanks. What about the annual challenge, what do u think? Do re reads count?

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) | 72 comments For the readathon, literally anything you read counts: physical, ebooks, audiobooks, textbooks, picture books, comics, magazines, new books, old books, books you’ve read 10 times, books that aren’t pubbed yet, and on and on. You could read the backs of shampoo bottles all day if you wanted and that would still count :)

The Goodreads challenge is to keep track of how many books you read in the year, period. If you read the same book twice, you can count it twice. Goodreads has the option to track rereads now (finally, yay!), so it would count towards your challenge.

message 7: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 135 comments love this question because I am a re reader. I think it depends on why. any and all reading counts but bragging on 4000 pages when half those pages are re reads wouldn't feel right to me. I'd be really impressed with reading 2000 pages in a day. But

message 8: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Jan wrote: "That's the general consensus. Thanks. What about the annual challenge, what do u think? Do re reads count?"

For the Goodreads Challenge? Re-reads now count, as of last year! You just have to have 2 different 'end dates' and they count individually. :)

message 9: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments If I can, I try to start with new books off my stack for any readathon, but right now I am in the middle of several books so I will likely be finishing up some this weekend.

I have some library books I checked out this summer that I really need to finish but school assignments make it so hard. ;)

message 10: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) | 5 comments Rereads totally count as reads for any and all challenges. Reading and reading is reading is reading. All reading is love. :) Audiobooks also totally count, as do graphic novels/comic books... they're harder to get page counts for though!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth | 127 comments I didn't know magazines counted! I'll put some in my stack for readathon.

message 12: by Jan Schwartz (new)

Jan Schwartz | 26 comments Thank you all for your great comments. Can't wait for Friday and Saturday! Happy reading everyone!!! 😁🤗📖

message 13: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 43 comments I always use graphic novels and novellas, as well as shorts, during Readathons because they count AND they help break up the monotony of looooong books!!! Good luck!

message 14: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 165 comments Same here, Lupe! I like to make my Readathons "TBR-busters" - I sort my TBR list by page length and reserve the shortest 20-25 books on the list from my library. I have an much easier time of it with lots of short titles, plus i feel like I've "accomplished" more LOL

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) | 72 comments I’m going to be doing the same thing this round! I gathered every novella/book on my Kindle that’s less than 250 pages to a collection, and I’ve picked out a handful of short physical books too. I usually stick to 5-6 full length novels and a few comics, so this will be a fun change!

message 16: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Lupe wrote: "I always use graphic novels and novellas, as well as shorts, during Readathons because they count AND they help break up the monotony of looooong books!!! Good luck!"

Yes! I'm going with comics/graphic novels this time around to feel more accomplished and to break up my regularly scheduled novels.

message 17: by Mounica (new)

Mounica Srinivas (mounisri) | 5 comments So one question from me : can i read the book which i am reading right now or should i start a new one for the readathon ?

message 18: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Mounica wrote: "So one question from me : can i read the book which i am reading right now or should i start a new one for the readathon ?"

That is entirely up to you! No rules about books whatsoever! I'm trying to finish my current reads so I can start fresh for Dewey's but I think I won't finish one of them in time. I haven't decided if I will pause it for the weekend or try to finish it during. Depends on my mood!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Mounica wrote: "So one question from me : can i read the book which i am reading right now or should i start a new one for the readathon ?"

I've done that before and just counted the pages read during readathon time rather than page count of entire book.

message 20: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 165 comments I like to start fresh with Readathons. I try (and usually fail...) to finish everything I'm currently reading beforehand and start with a clean slate. I think I've successfully done that...once? In 8 or 9 Readathons? LOL Do whatever feels right to you - it's your Readathon!

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments i typically start each readathon with at least two books i progress - i just note what my page count is when the read-a-thon officially starts for logging pages etc

message 22: by Mounica (new)

Mounica Srinivas (mounisri) | 5 comments Thank you very much , this is my first readathon , so trying to figure out thingsElyse wrote: "Mounica wrote: "So one question from me : can i read the book which i am reading right now or should i start a new one for the readathon ?"

That is entirely up to you! No rules about books whatsoe..."

message 23: by Mounica (new)

Mounica Srinivas (mounisri) | 5 comments Thank you ☺️Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "Mounica wrote: "So one question from me : can i read the book which i am reading right now or should i start a new one for the readathon ?"

I've done that before and just counted the pages read du..."

message 24: by Jan Schwartz (new)

Jan Schwartz | 26 comments And...go!

message 25: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 569 comments I am reading books that are in some reading list--Goodreads, library, personal notes, the memory. I will enjoy myself and just go with.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.