Horror Aficionados discussion

The Switch House
This topic is about The Switch House
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > August 2018 Group Read #2 with Guest Author, Tim Meyer

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
This is the thread for the 2nd August Group read with Guest Author. We have Tim Meyer stopping by for the next month as we delve into his new release, The Switch House. If you'd like to join this read, you can click on the link below to download The Switch House. Please help me welcome back to HA, Tim Meyer!

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-House-S...

Melanie | 1656 comments Welcome Tim. I haven't read any of your work before so I'm looking forward to this one.

message 3: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy (kristylytle) | 83 comments Hi Tim! Welcome back! 😁 I absolutely loved Worlds Between My Teeth. I'm really looking forward to The Switch House!

message 4: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Thanks for the warm welcome, Ken! Hey, everyone! Glad to be back. Can't wait to see what you think of the new novel, THE SWITCH HOUSE. Feel free to post any questions about the book or anything else you might want to ask. I'm on Goodreads all the time, so it usually won't take me long to respond. 😁 Also, feel free to follow me on Twitter and Instagram - @timmmeyer11. And thanks for checking out my work! Means the world to me.

message 5: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Melanie wrote: "Welcome Tim. I haven't read any of your work before so I'm looking forward to this one."

Hi Melanie! Thank you so much! Hope you enjoy it!

message 6: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Kristy wrote: "Hi Tim! Welcome back! 😁 I absolutely loved Worlds Between My Teeth. I'm really looking forward to The Switch House!"

Hey Kristy! I'm so glad you loved Worlds! Looking forward to your thoughts on THE SWITCH HOUSE.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5832 comments Mod
Welcome back, Tim! I'm definitely in for this one. :)

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Ashburn (baileylaura) | 3 comments preordered on Amazon today - synopsis sounds awesome - can't wait!!

message 9: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Kimberly wrote: "Welcome back, Tim! I'm definitely in for this one. :)"

Thanks, Kimberly! Looking forward to your thoughts on it!

message 10: by Elke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elke (misspider) | 616 comments Welcome Tim and thanks for joining this group read!

Not too familiar with your work, I only read 'The Thin Veil' a couple years ago, but it was a really good story.

So I just pre-ordered the book and added it to my summer holiday to-read stack. The summary sounds intriguing - I'm not yet sure where it will finally go, but damn eager to find out!

message 11: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Elke wrote: "Welcome Tim and thanks for joining this group read!

Not too familiar with your work, I only read 'The Thin Veil' a couple years ago, but it was a really good story.

So I just pre-ordered the book..."

Thanks for the kind words! Happy to hear you enjoyed THE THIN VEIL! Excited to see what you think of THE SWITCH HOUSE!!!

Latasha (latasha513) | 10825 comments Mod
hello Tim! Thanks for joining us.

message 13: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Latasha wrote: "hello Tim! Thanks for joining us."

Hi Latasha! Thank you so much for having me!

message 14: by Elke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elke (misspider) | 616 comments Switch House has just arrived on my Kindle :)

Melanie | 1656 comments Mine too :)

message 16: by Elke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elke (misspider) | 616 comments Just started today and not yet sure where this is going... first impression: I think I don’t sympathize that much with Angela and her way of coping with whatever loss they suffered. E.g. keeping her therapy a secret, and then doing that show to get her mind of things? Not what I would consider a fitting way.

I started last night and didn’t want to stop but couldn’t keep my eyes open. Very good so far!

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
Tim, a couple of questions.

First, I'm always fascinated by cover art. What can you tell us about the cover of his one?

Second, the character of Angela has a nice, flawed quality to her at first appearance where you don't know, as a reader, how you feel about her. Do you model your characters after people you know or have met or are they more of a product of your imagination?

message 19: by Elke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elke (misspider) | 616 comments Now it’s getting interesting, opening up quite a number of possibilities how the story is going to turn out. Currently, I wonder if Terry’s revived affection for Angela is real or induced somehow... and that creepy woman: friend or foe? The story definitely has me in in its grasp by now :)

message 20: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Ken wrote: "Tim, a couple of questions.

First, I'm always fascinated by cover art. What can you tell us about the cover of his one?

Second, the character of Angela has a nice, flawed quality to her at first..."

Thanks, Ken! Great questions.

The cover art was done by a gentleman named James Keen, who also did the cover for THE THIN VEIL. He's a great guy and a super talented artist. I thought his style would really lend itself to this book, and he captured it perfectly. You can check out more of his art at
https://atoekeneffort.weebly.com.

I'd say my characters are mostly products of my imagination, but I also believe the subconscious works hard behind the scenes. I've had friends and family members approach me and ask, "Did you base this character on me?" The answer is always no, at least not intentionally. That stuff naturally finds a way into my writing. On rare occasions I pick up on it. Most of the time, I do not.

Just finished. That was awesome! 4 ⭐️

Melanie | 1656 comments Just finished....but maybe I'm a bit dim (my reading nights lately have included a glass or two of Cointreau with a dash of lemon..) but...(view spoiler)

message 23: by Elke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elke (misspider) | 616 comments Just finished and have to think about it some more...this story really went through all states: 5 stars at the beginning slowly dropping to two stars before the epilogue but because of it rising up again...confused, a bit like Melanie I guess, why (view spoiler)

I would have loved to read some more fleshed out details at times, as it leaves so (too?) many questions unanswered...

Review later, as I’m writing this on vacation where I only have my iPad and can’t write as fast and smooth as I’m used to with an old-fashioned keyboard...also, I still have to completely finish the book and read the bonus short stories :)

I just ordered a paperback of SWITCH HOUSE. It should be here by Wednesday. :)

Melanie | 1656 comments Finished and (finally) reviewed. Thanks Tim for being a part of this, I particularly loved the short story 'Aperture' in the kindle edition.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 26: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Melanie wrote: "Finished and (finally) reviewed. Thanks Tim for being a part of this, I particularly loved the short story 'Aperture' in the kindle edition.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Thanks for reading!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! Sure, I know that's fairly vague, but after finishing the Kindle version, this is exactly how I felt.

Suspenseful and weird, all four stories contained great plots and surprising twists. I love stories that beg for answers: Is this person crazy or is there really a benevolent entity? How far would you go to prove a point? Can movies open up a portal into a demonic dimension?

Tim, you made a promising effort to give us relatable characters: parents dealing with the aftermath of trauma; an angry spouse; a brokenhearted lover searching for their lost love; and a young man curiously searching for the next adventure.

With often graphic imagery, you kept the creeps coming.

So pleased I decided to join in on this group read on a whim. I'll definitely be reading more of your works.

Thank you for these great stories and being a part of the reads this month.

message 28: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Eli wrote: "Wow! Sure, I know that's fairly vague, but after finishing the Kindle version, this is exactly how I felt.

Suspenseful and weird, all four stories contained great plots and surprising twists. I lo..."

Thank you so much, Eli! Glad you enjoyed the stories!

message 29: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 42 comments Hello all & welcome to our group Tim ;)
I’m probably the last/latest to join in the group read, however,from what I know of this story so far- I should have no problem finishing before the month ends. It’s so refreshing to read a description of a horror story that I have yet to come across. I am starting right now.

It’s nice to have you joining us!

Sheri

message 30: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Sheri wrote: "Hello all & welcome to our group Tim ;)
I’m probably the last/latest to join in the group read, however,from what I know of this story so far- I should have no problem finishing before the month en..."

Thanks for the warm welcome, Sheri! Hope you enjoy THE SWITCH HOUSE! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Sheri wrote: "Hello all & welcome to our group Tim ;)
I’m probably the last/latest to join in the group read, however,from what I know of this story so far- I should have no problem finishing before the month en..."

Sheri--you're not the last! I have my copy and still haven't started on it, but I plan on having it read before the end of the month!! :)

message 32: by Elke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elke (misspider) | 616 comments Finally, my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Never good to delay it for so long, but I just can't type decent text on a phone or tablet...maybe it is time to check out the voice entry function...

Thanks again Tim for joining us here and to the mods for organizing this discussion!