Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Sharp Objects HBO

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (new)

Char  | 14225 comments Mod
This is the only Gillian Flynn book I haven't read, so I welcomed the opportunity to see what HBO did with it.

So far, I am enjoying it. I agree about the amount of alcohol the MC is drinking, but I know that one can quickly build a tolerance to it and function normally, so I'm not making too much out of that.
That said, I think I am more interested in her mother and her sister, than in her secrets. (Though I suspect those will be pretty bad, once revealed.)

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7242 comments I like Sharp Objects but I totally agree about the casting of Amy Adams. I think that is my only negative of the show (so far) is I think she may have been a miscast.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 31 comments I'm looking forward to watching this, I loved the books. Do you know if/when it is available in the UK?

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 330 comments Having not read the book, I cannot react to the Amy Adams casting but what a dark story line and Camille's mother, what a "piece of work". No wonder Camille has issues.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7242 comments Corinne wrote: "I think the casting with Camille is an issue with me regardless of reading the book. I would expect a little more Lisbeth Salander. A little more of being able to see a woman with "wounds". Seeing ..."

I feel the same way. Sure, you see her scars but for the most part it's just Amy Adams wearing casual clothes. I am guessing the drinking is suppose to show how she is trying to cope but even with that I still don't see it.

message 6: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 80 comments I do wonder how she carved words into her back. Is she a contortionist?

message 7: by Char (last edited Aug 28, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

I ended up loving this adaptation. I didn't read the book though, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I thought Amy Adams did a great job. I thought that a person who cut themselves and did such a great job of hiding it would act exactly as she did-by internalizing the pain, drinking and having meaningless sex in the dark. They would be quiet, observant and keeping to themselves, for the most part, no? (I like psychology.)

I did wonder about the back scars myself.

HBO contacted me through Goodreads here asking if I would like a dollhouse from the show. Of course, I accepted and when it came, it arrived with figurines of Camille, her mother and sister. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11047 comments Mod
I can finally watch this now!

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7242 comments Char wrote: "I ended up loving this adaptation. I didn't read the book though, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I thought Amy Adams did a great job. I thought that a person who cut themselves and did such a..."

That's so cool! (view spoiler)

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7242 comments Thanks, pretty neat.

message 11: by Char (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:05PM) (new)

Corinne wrote: "Char wrote: "...They would be quiet, observant and keeping to themselves, for the most part, no? ..."

By the end I almost fully accepted her as Camille.

Can you post pictures of the figurines al..."

I had to delete something to make room for the figurine photo. I've uploaded it. Sorry that it's a little blurry.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 330 comments Did the HBO presentation of "Sharp Objects" have less of an impact for those who did not read the book? In a way, it did for me. After a while the HBO series seemed to get stalled in it's focus on some very addictive personalities who were quite content to live with those addictions. I know, having not read the book that I must be missing some of the "context" of Ms. Flynn's work but after a while the HBO series seemed very "one note" in its approach.

message 13: by John (new)

John | 135 comments I really enjoyed this show. I was on the fence about watching it but it proved to be one of my favourites.

I don't think I have ever read this author but I will definitely add them to my short list for future reads.

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis | 28 comments I loved the show! Even re-watching it, you pick up things you missed during the first viewing. There's a lot of detail and symbolism packed into it.