Christian Readers discussion

Scripture Memorization > The Thief On The Cross... What Did He See?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1964 comments Mod
Many think the repentant thief on the cross next to Jesus had no time to "live for Jesus" , and he certainly did not have a lot of time. BUT , when a close examination of his salvation is made... it is AMAZING what he actually did "see" and "recognize" and "do".

Below is a link to a brief (one page, double-sided, tri-fold) PDF Bible study of this event:
http://www.christ-like.net/sitebuilde...

message 2: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments The rant is bassed on luke 23: who I said can get a person in trouble before. St Mark, Matthew, and John has nothing more then two men where crucified on each side of Him. Yet this made up story covers two pages. Preachers can take one word and make up a fiction published book so two pages is nothing.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "The rant is bassed on luke 23: who I said can get a person in trouble before. St Mark, Matthew, and John has nothing more then two men where crucified on each side of Him. Yet this made up story covers two pages. Preachers can take one word and make up a fiction published book so two pages is nothing..."

My response: Made up fiction is Mickey LYING and claiming to be Elijah!

You are DEMENTED!

message 4: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments Robert wrote: "Mickey wrote: "The rant is bassed on luke 23: who I said can get a person in trouble before. St Mark, Matthew, and John has nothing more then two men where crucified on each side of Him. Yet this m..."

I heard today on the Christian Radio, Preacher Jeramiah said the "age or condition of Elijah is upon us." It is to bad he was just shooten off his gills, but that is going to turn out to be true. At least that is what it reads in Malachi 4:5 So Robert you can call God a lier also. "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day (of the Lord): (The end time)

The preachers will tell you that the rant will be preached through out the whole earth, but that is not what the KJB of 1611 says. The truth will be published throughout the whole earth. That is where I come in. "And the gospel must first be published among all nations." It should happen this year, what do you think of that?

message 5: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "I heard today on the Christian Radio, Preacher Jeramiah said the "age or condition of Elijah is upon us." ..."

My response: WHO CARES what you heard on the radio?

Jesus TOLD US that John the Baptist was Elijah... NOT YOU!

You are a SELF-PROCLAIMED Elijah... FALSE prophet... Jesus WARNED us about people like you.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Robert for sharing this. It is interesting reading.

message 7: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle My favourite topic.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Thank you Robert for sharing this. It is interesting reading."

Your welcome... this was one of the firs sermons I preached, in a jail, many years ago.

message 9: by Robert (new)

There is a LOT contained in this short passage...

...one thief repents
...he rebukes the unrepentant thief
...he recognizes his own guilt (getting what he deserves)
...he states that Jesus is without guilt (done nothing wrong)
...he acknowledges that Jesus is God
...he tries to evangelize the other thief
...he acknowledges that Jesus is a King
...he knows that crucifixion is not the end for Jesus (when you come into your Kingdom)
...he essentially asks Jesus for forgiveness (remember me when you come into your Kingdom)

message 10: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments That is how a girl said she wanted to go the way the thief on the cross did it about six months ago, just beem me up, can it get any easier then that?

John the Baptist said he was NOT Elijah when they asked him. What part of NO don't Robert understand? "Art thou Elijah? And he (John the Baptist) saith (I am not)" "Art thou that prophet? And he (John the Baptist) answeared NO." St John 1:21

The preachers like John to be Elijah to, that way nothing will take away ripping people off financially, or flying around the country in their airplane with their Gospel, like Paul he came in his own name, and the tree doesn't fall to far from the acorn.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "John the Baptist said he was NOT Elijah when they asked him. What part of NO don't Robert understand?..."

My response: Jesus said that John the Baptist WAS Elijah!!! … why do you REJECT the words of Jesus???

message 12: by Robert (new)

Matthew 11:13-14

13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elijah , which was for to come.

Jesus wants us to receive the FACT that John the Baptist was Elijah...

Mickey REJECTS Jesus and His words claiming that he (Mickey) is Elijah.

Our choice is VERY SIMPLE
...Believe Jesus
or
...believe Mickey

For me... I believe JESUS!

message 13: by John (new)

John McCann | 308 comments The Thief on the Cross

Some say he got in by the skin of his teeth or he avoided hell by a small margin.

And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. Luke 23:39-43

Timing is 95% of the will of God. The cross of Christ was prime time in the history of the world. We need to go back a few hours before the crucifixion to appreciate the magnitude of the thief’s words. A dramatic change occurred at the Mount of Olives. The powers of darkness started having their time. Jesus started experiencing physical suffering during His arrest and trial. He was experiencing emotional suffering with the abandonment of His disciples and the accusations from the Jewish leaders. These sufferings escalate to the cross several hours later.

Yet with the thief beside Him another change occurs. Someone believes in Him again. It appears that the words of the thief encouraged Jesus. What a feat; to encourage the Son of God at His most vulnerable hour. At His crucifixion, the Father reserved a special position beside Jesus for this thief (see Luke 23:33). In the future kingdom, the Father may grant this thief the seat on the right side of Jesus. This is the position coveted by the sons of thunder (see Mark 10:37). Jesus asked the sons of thunder if they were able to drink of the cup that He was to drink of. The thief was crucified in the same manner as Jesus, although the thief did not experience the same cup. Has the Father reserved the same position in His kingdom? Consider how Holy Spirit spoke through the apostles about Jesus returning like a thief in the night.

Apostle Paul:
For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 1 Thes. 5:2

Apostle Peter:
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; II Pet. 3:10a

Apostle John:
Behold I come as a thief in the night: Rev. 16:15a

The thief on the cross did little for us and we do not honor a thief. In heaven, it might be reversed. The Father may honor the thief by placing him on the right side of Jesus. This position might bring the Father pleasure (see Eph. 1:5).

pages 106-108 Rare Spiritual Robotics

message 14: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Awesome- I often forget that he quickly reached out to the other thief. Condemnation or salvation? Either are essential

message 15: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Mickey, I deleted your last post: because you are a heretical BUTT. Had to be done.

message 16: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I doubt very much that the thief gets a throne seat

message 17: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle John, technically the guy wasn't a thief. More of a rebel perhaps. So I hear... so those verses might not apply.

But then again: the Old Testament prophecy is trustworthy so? But is it that specific? Have a look.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

My advice for everyone, do not respond to Mickey. And just delete his posts. They do nothing positive.

message 19: by Robert (new)

The "thief" on the cross... immediately upon receiving Jesus as his Savior and King... became...

Romans 3:22 - "Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe ..."

message 20: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle 21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it--

22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:

Just for context

message 21: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I love this verse
24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,

message 22: by Robert (new)

Romans 3:22-24

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe : for there is no difference :

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

message 23: by Robert (new)

Romans 3:25-26

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood , to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare , I say, at this time his righteousness : that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus .

1 John 2:2

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins : and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world .

message 24: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments Rod wrote: "Mickey, I deleted your last post: because you are a heretical BUTT. Had to be done."

You just called Jesus a heretical BUTT, can you live with that? "And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold of him: for they said, He is a (heretical Butt, Or crazy) beside himself."
I just signed the OK for my book to be published (the truth) can you live with that? "For the Gospel (must) be published among all nation." The preachers like preached among all nations.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "You just called Jesus a heretical BUTT, can you live with that? ..."

My response: Mickey, you DON'T READ WELL !

Rod said that YOU are that... Rod did NOT say that about Jesus!

Wow! Now you think you are Jesus and not just Elijah! You need some serious help.

message 26: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments Sylvia wrote: "My advice for everyone, do not respond to Mickey. And just delete his posts. They do nothing positive."

That is why the truth in the Gospels will be given mostly to other countries when my nonfiction book is published. "A Prophet is not without honor, save (except) in his own country, and in his own house."

message 27: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "That is why the truth in the Gospels will be given mostly to other countries when my nonfiction book is published..."

My response: Sorry Mickey... the GOSPEL IS IN THE BIBLE! Your useless OPINIONS will only drag people into hell.

Here is what God says about people who preach a FALSE gospel (like you)…

Galatians 1:8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed .

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed .

God says you are accursed... can you live with that?

message 28: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments Robert wrote: "Mickey wrote: "That is why the truth in the Gospels will be given mostly to other countries when my nonfiction book is published..."

My response: Sorry Mickey... the GOSPEL IS IN THE BIBLE! Your u..."

Yes I can, because it came from Paul. Timothy said all scripture is given by inspiration of God, for correction. See, the preachers are just correcting the salvation plan given by God. "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: ---us. That is why there are a different denomination on every corner?

I have not sent these prophets, yet they prophesied. They prophesy lies? Jeremiah 23:21-26

message 29: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "Yes I can, because it came from Paul...."

My response: Sad, but you surely will "live" eternally in the fire of your false gospel.

100% of the post-resurrection evangelists in the Bible ALL preached the SAME message... but YOU preach a FALSE gospel! :-(

Here is what God says about people who preach a FALSE gospel (like you)…

Galatians 1:8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed .

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed .

message 30: by John (new)

John McCann | 308 comments Rod wrote: "Mickey, I deleted your last post: because you are a heretical BUTT. Had to be done."I vote to remove Mickey until he can bring a note from his doctor.>

message 31: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Baha!

Yep, Mickeys Jesus now. Yawwwwn. Typical.

message 32: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments WE ; Paul, Timathy, Peter, The-oph-i-lus, Jim Backer, Jimmy Swaggart, Koresh, Jim Jones, Eu-o-dias, Syn-ty-che, Muhammad, Buda, O-nes-i-mus, Sil-va-nus, Joseph Simith, Mcpherison, Hubbard, Diane, James, Titus, Phi-le-mon, John, and Jude,

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things written in this book." Revelation 22:19 The Gospels. Old Testament, and Revelation.
I saw an Angel in San Pedro, California at the end of a Sunday school class, I blurted out "the day of judgment is coming." What do you think of that.

"And the Devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the (false prophet are,) (Paul) and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." Revelation 20:10

The preachers will tell you, some day the false prophet will show up, have you paid your tithes, my airplane needs aviation fuel so I can spread (my gospel) even faster like Paul. I'll bet you a one pound Fruit Cake that Paul and Mickey will not be in the same cell, but Mickey will be in New Jerusalem, kicken back

In other words Jesus (who the Father God sent) was only the Son of God why go by what He said. In prophesy in the Old testement not one time is it mentioned that after Jesus goes back to His Father there will come a man that will write half of the New Testament, I believe that would give me pause. But it is mentioned in the New, "I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not; (to take into one's possession, or something given) when Paul comes and did, in his own name, the preachers can't get enough of him. St John 5:43 Money in the bank, or is it your bank account that grows?

message 33: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "WE ; Paul, Timathy, Peter, The-oph-i-lus, Jim Backer, Jimmy Swaggart, Koresh, Jim Jones, Eu-o-dias, Syn-ty-che, Muhammad, Buda, O-nes-i-mus, Sil-va-nus, Joseph Simith, Mcpherison, Hubbard, Diane, J..."

My response: You got a few wrong. Remove Paul, Timothy, and Peter... and replace them with Mickey the heretic!

message 34: by John (new)

John McCann | 308 comments I would image there are others that would like to engage on this subject, but when the majority of the posts are back and forth nonsense with Mickey, they see the subject has changed and they do not feel comfortable here and move on. A Book of Nonsense

message 35: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I should remove Mickey. But he's mildly amusing when so few are chatting

message 36: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments Robert and John would you answer this one question perhaps using common sense if nothing else? Paul and his disciples said if you preach any other gospel then what we tell you, your going to be chopped liver. Their gospel wasn't even close to what Jesus said, and you call me crazy.

message 37: by Robert (new)

Mickey wrote: "Robert and John would you answer this one question perhaps using common sense if nothing else? Paul and his disciples said if you preach any other gospel then what we tell you, your going to be cho..."

My response: LOL!!!! NO DIFFERENCE in the Gospel preached by Jesus and that preached by Paul!

The only difference is in the message preached by the FALSE prophet... Mickey.

Paul's Gospel = Acts 16:31 - "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ , and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

Jesus' Gospel = John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

message 38: by John (new)

John McCann | 308 comments You are letting Mickey change the subject and redirect the discussion away from the thief on the cross to his agenda. Mickey wins!

message 39: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments I believed that I could possibly heal my mother, and that was a "believe in the heart thing." "---Believe me for the very works' sake." St John 14:11 In both of your "believes" they are about the mind. In mine it is in allegorical form that triggered the Spirit in Genesis 1:2 to act or the catalyst for redemption.

So, on a persons death bed if they can say yes, they are in the kingdom of God. Can that get any easier after a life of wine, women, song, kicking the dog, and Domer he ate people? If you can find one person in a bar that will tell you, Jesus never existed I would take my hat off to you.

message 40: by Robert (new)

Paul's Gospel = Acts 16:31 - "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ , and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

Jesus' Gospel = John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

message 41: by John (new)

John McCann | 308 comments The word for the two “thieves” in Matthew 27:38 mean robber, bandit, rebel or revolutionary. So the two criminals crucified with Jesus could have been thieves. The word “malefactors” in Luke 23:32 means criminal or evildoer. The word for “transgressors” in Isaiah 53:12 means to rebel or revolt against human or divine authority. The word “transgressors” in Luke 22:37 that references Isaiah 53:12 means transgressor of the law by not obeying it. It was also used of the Gentiles in the NT; being without God’ covenant law. Since we do not have the specific crime(s) recorded of the two that were crucified with Jesus, it is best to avoid being specific of their crime(s).

In comfortable western Christianity we suffer little. But imagine this criminal looking into Jesus’ eyes and fellowshipping with Him at His most serious hour. I cannot rule out this man receiving something special from the Lord. Again, with our human minds, we see someone of no value to us. “Our thoughts are not His thoughts.”

message 42: by Robert (last edited Jul 27, 2018 05:36AM) (new)

Mickey wrote: "In both of your "believes" they are about the mind. In mine it is in allegorical form that triggered the Spirit..."

My response: Your "believe" is a SELF-DELUSIONAL belief triggered by something not inline with God or His Word, the Bible.

My "believe" is exactly the definition of the word God Himself chose...

Believe = Strong's G4100 - pisteuō - "πιστεύω pisteúō, pist-yoo'-o... to HAVE FAITH (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication, to ENTRUST (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ):"

Our choice...
1) Believe the trustworthy Word of God, the Bible...
or
2) Believe the delusional words of Mickey...

I am curious, other than Mickey, is anyone trusting in his words?

message 43: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments I understand that the truth hurts, that is why Jesus spoke allegorically or in parables He had to get to the cross. I believe it was John that said I got away from the thieves, is that important for mankind. Three of the Gospels it is hardly mentioned.

When the publisher read my nonfiction book, they said they never wanted any part of it, that it was to dangerous for me, the author. I told them I have lived my life, and that might be why I'm as old as I am. God in the past have used old people at different times to do things for Him. If the angels don't protect me, I'm probably doomed.

It reads "greater works than these shall he do;" What does that mean? Jesus spoke in parables or allegorically, they never knew what He was talking about as it is today, but when a person is redeemed they will know the mystery."It is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given." St Matthew 13:11 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear." 16

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." St Matthew 10:22

"Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify: and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:: St Matthew 23:34 "Verily I say unto you, All these thing shall come upon this generation. 36

So you see, the truth can get you killed. Once upon a time I had money in the bank, and now I have a mortgage on my house owing thousands of dollars to the credit card companies. So make my day but just remember this, what I did for mankind, Jesus gave his life and I'm broke with a good possibility of being killed.

message 44: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I see your problem: you're reading the bible and assuming it's all about YOU.

Maybe you should let it be about Jesus.

message 45: by John (new)

John McCann | 308 comments Rod wrote: "I should remove Mickey. But he's mildly amusing when so few are chatting"

Robert, Rod and Mickey are entertaining their flesh with heresies.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; ………..heresies.

message 46: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments Five verses I took out of the King James Bible of 1611, and you say it is all about Mickey. It is no wonder why Jesus said few would find the way, and it would be the same as it was in the time of Noah. "But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." St Matthew 24:37 "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. St Matthew 7:14
What that is refering to, is before Jesus comes back the second time mankind is going to be disgusting as before Noah's flood as they are today. Do you read anything about going to the rant of Paul and as he said the billions of people that (believe) that Jesus walked on the earth are saved, or did Jesus say few will find the way?

message 47: by John (new)

John McCann | 308 comments Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts
With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!

Ref: Freddled Gruntbuggly by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz; a creation of Douglas Adams

message 48: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 655 comments The pentecostals call that speaking in tongues so your saved, or redeemed and will live with God forever in eternity.

message 49: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Gotta love Douglas Adams.
I'm re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy right now.

message 50: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Not Enticing our flesh... but entertaining. (And not really my flesh) more my sense of humour about the insanity of false beliefs.