Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Monthly polls on sci-fi topics

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
For fun I'm proposing that we hold a monthly poll on various science-fiction-related topics that would be distinct from those of the regular group reads.

I think it would be good to hold annual polls on what we think were the best science fiction book or movie that came out in the preceding year - these polls could be held in December and January. But what other topics would members be interested in? The most popular science fiction author? The weirdest science fiction book/movie you ever read/saw? The best, or most convincing, depiction of an alien? The most impressive spacecraft? The most scientific science fiction?

While not everyone will agree with the winners of these polls, some of us might in the process find out about interesting books, films, TV series and so on that we hadn't heard of previously or knew very little about. Members would also be encouraged to comment on why they voted, which could lead to some interesting discussion.

Please post your ideas for polls in this topic. The mods reserve the right to be selective about what poll topics get picked - we're not going to go with suggestions like the best western featuring John Wayne, the grooviest 1970s and 1980s pop videos, or the most interesting Rodgers & Hammerstein musical. In other words, keep your suggestions science fictional.

While there might be an initial topic to suggest some opening candidates for each poll, I'm proposing that these polls be otherwise entirely write-in ones and that they would be open for an entire month to give everyone a chance to vote in it.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 64 comments I think this is a fun idea.

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 28 comments I suggest, for example, polls on which is one's favorite science fiction by certain prolific authors, and discussion on why a favorite (such as Arthur C. Clarke, Peter F. Hamilton, Greg Bear, Issac Asimov...).

message 4: by David (last edited Jul 23, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

David Lutkins | 0 comments Yes, I agree this will be fun.

I'll suggest as a topic: which is one's favorite science fiction work written specifically for the stage. The ones that come to mind for me are plays of Samuel Beckett. Many of these plays take place in in dystopian or post-apocalyptic environments (i.e., Waiting for Godot, Endgame, Krapp's Last Tape & Embers, Rough for Theatre I, Rough for Theatre II, Play and two short pieces for radio), and I think its interesting to see how the ideas in these plays compare to more well-known works, such as A Canticle for Leibowitz, Earth Abides or On the Beach.

message 5: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Some interesting ideas there so far. I'm proposing that the first poll will take place on around August 1 so keep the ideas coming!

message 6: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Aug 03, 2018 02:39PM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
OK. I've set up the first poll, running with August's suggestion here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1.... It will go live in a little over 90 mins from this post and will last until August 30th. I've seeded the poll with the four names you suggested August but anybody else can add names to the list.