2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
This topic is about Red Queen
ARCHIVE 2018 > Red Queen: Chapter 1-7

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments This is the discussion thread for Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard Chapter 1-7

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann (hammiam) | 161 comments I've been asked to lead the discussion on this one. Welcome everyone!

This book is a YA, dystopian fantasy and is first book in a trilogy.

What did you think of the opening chapters? Are you finding the story original enough to keep you reading?

Did you find the concept of First Friday interesting? boring?

Do you like Mare as a character?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2810 comments Hello all. I started this a little early as I finished all my July reads, and I already finished the first 7 chapters. I couldn't put it down. I love the opening chapters; definitely enough to hold my interest.

As for originality, while reading I got a very strong Hunger Games vibe, and by chapter 7, Throne of Glass was thrown in there too. It's not a bad thing, especially because this is already infinitely better than Throne of Glass, and I think it's different enough from both series that it won't deter my enjoyment of it. I already want to read the rest in this series.

First Friday was neither for me. I thought it was a good way to introduce the differences between Silvers and Reds and the strife between them. It's interesting that they do that sort of thing to basically just show off their power to the Reds. I would think they wouldn't even bother spending time, energy, and injuries trying to "flex" for people who, in their minds, are already sufficiently marginalized.

Yes, I like Mare. She's smart and passionate. (view spoiler)

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments SarahKat wrote: "Hello all. I started this a little early as I finished all my July reads, and I already finished the first 7 chapters. I couldn't put it down. I love the opening chapters; definitely enough to hold..."

I also started slightly early as I was sooooo excited (blush) - will post soon!

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim | 120 comments Another early starter here...

It is really hard in this genre to be 100% original. So much has already been written, so many ideas have already been explored.
So it's is not a surprise to me that there were a few aspects that reminded me of other books. But the world is original enough (or uses enough different tropes that have not been put together in that way before) to feel like a new world to me.

I like the way the world and the characters are being built. We are getting to know Mare through her thoughts and actions, and in the meantime also get to see the world and the other characters through her eyes, thoughts and feelings. I have not noticed many passages that are too much description and information and not enough story.

First Friday is a good example of that, as SarahKat mentioned. We learn about the Silvers and (a selection of) the different powers they possess, we learn about the power relations between Reds and Silvers, and how Mare feels about that. We also learn more about her friend Kilorn because of how he reacts to it in a different way.

Mare is a very likeable character. Her interactions with her family and friend show that she is a loving person, despite her cynical views on the world she is living in, or the not-so-ethical way she tries to support her family.

One of the most interesting aspects of these first chapters to me is the war. The way it is described, it feels a bit 'out of place' in this world where the people in power have special powers. The descriptions reminded me of WWI, with a contested area that's been the scene of a down and dirty trench war that's been waging for years without any side making any real progress.
I would think that with the powers the Silvers have, disputes between countries would be fought in a different way, much more on a tactical level (just as warfare in our days is also more about tactical strikes using high-tech weapons than about battlefields with huge armies).
This made me think that this war is actually more about creating some kind of sword of Damocles to hang above the Reds heads: they have to be good, loyal and productive citizens, or they get conscripted.
I hope the book will go into that some more and flesh it out, so it doesn't feel like this was just a 'tool' for the author to set the stage at the beginning of the book.

message 6: by Octothorpe Reader Leora K (last edited Aug 01, 2018 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments The first chapter had my attention with First Friday, as it provides a very good introduction to the fantasy part of the book and gives you a crash course in the Silvers' abilities and powers.

Mare is a likable character and her good heart shines through - she cares for her people, her family and her friends. Like any young girl, she gets annoyed, she wishes for things, she has self-doubt - it makes her relatable. (view spoiler)

As in the real world, there is a hierarchy within a hierarchy here. The world is made up of lower classes, middle classes and higher classes, but even in each of those, there is a lower class within the lower class.

(view spoiler)

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments SarahKat wrote: "Hello all. I started this a little early as I finished all my July reads, and I already finished the first 7 chapters. I couldn't put it down. I love the opening chapters; definitely enough to hold..."

I didn't read your comments until after I wrote mine, and I also got more of a Hunger Games feel in the beginning, where I thought it would be more like GOT. It didn't stop me from continuing because the story is enjoyable.

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2810 comments Kim wrote: "This made me think that this war is actually more about creating some kind of sword of Damocles to hang above the Reds heads: they have to be good, loyal and productive citizens, or they get conscripted."

I definitely agree with that. If the Silvers really wanted to win the war they'd be fighting it themselves instead of sending Reds out to die for years and years.

Octothorpe Reader wrote: "The first chapter had my attention with First Friday, as it provides a very good introduction to the fantasy part of the book and gives you a crash course in the Silvers' abilities and powers.

Ma..."

I totally saw your second spoiler coming. (view spoiler)

I didn't really think it would be like GoT. I was expecting something like Heartless, probably just because of the title and the YA genre. I do think this book is unique enough to stand apart from anything that it's comparable to.

Melissa | 138 comments I’m a bit behind with this one, but I had a few other titles to finish first. I know I’ll catch up quickly.

It took me a bit to get into the story. I’m following a finish 50 pages rule before quitting with this one, but I’m now into the story after reading Chapters 5-7.

I have really begun to like the title character. At first, I was not sure if it was a male or female, but as I read more about her friends and family, I began to become invested in her life. I’m anxious to see what happens to her after Chapter 7.

I love the palace, royalty setting of stories, so I am intrigued!

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann (hammiam) | 161 comments Melissa wrote: "I’m a bit behind with this one, but I had a few other titles to finish first. I know I’ll catch up quickly.

It took me a bit to get into the story. I’m following a finish 50 pages rule before qui..."

I envy you and your 50-page rule! I have imposed a 50% rule on myself and feel guilty if it's less.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Red Queen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Victoria Aveyard (other topics)