What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Best of Edmond Hamilton
This topic is about The Best of Edmond Hamilton
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Searching for an OLD short story from an anthology collection. It is about parallel worlds. The man in the story is telling a story to others about traveling between worlds. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Gilkison | 6 comments Searching for an OLD short story from an anthology collection.

It is about parallel worlds. The man in the story is telling a story to others about traveling between worlds.

He describes differences in his lives and everything.

It ends with him being asked by some of the listeners how he got back. He states...."I don't know I am still here".

I don't remember the anthology as it was a best of such and such year book. I read so many of those as a kid. This one still sticks with me and I have searched for years but can never find a reference to it.

Hoping someone may have a clue or thought or even know which I am talking about.

Any help would be appreciated. This is all the info I have a memory on it, sorry.

Thanks in advance. I know not much to go on.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Duplicate (caused by bug) deleted.

How old is old? 1970? 1950? etc.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Gilkison | 6 comments Well i read it probably around 1980 when i was ten or so. The anthologies were from the 50s through the late 70s if not the 80s, they used to put at least one out a year. So i can't narrow it down from there. I was a voracious reader especially in elementary school so i read tons and tons of books. Sorry i can't get it closer.

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments I think you are probably looking for "Exile" by Edmund Hamilton, who had a lot of O Henry-like twists to his short stories. You can find it in the best of edmund hamilton.

Edited to add: I was actually just describing Exile to someone the other day, in fact. Many of the other stories in there are equally memorable. And it looks like it's available on Kindle if a hard copy is hard to come by.

Also, it was first published in 1943 if you are burrowing through Best of (year) books.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Gilkison | 6 comments Thank you. I will look at that and let you know if that is the one. Very much appreciated

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4230 comments This is isfdb.org's list of anthologies it's been included into: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg... You can see their covers if you click "View all covers" - in case that sparks another memory. Edmund seems to be misspelling, it should be Edmond Hamilton

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Gilkison | 6 comments Thank you Ayshe will look at that as well

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments Ah yes, sorry about that. It was before my coffee :). The misspelling must be why I wasn't finding the edition I was looking for.

The Best of Edmond Hamilton

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Gilkison | 6 comments Amanda, thank you thank you thank you. That was the story. I reread it tonight then reread it to my wife.

It brought back so many memories of being a kid, hiding under the covers, reading until early in the morning by flashlight.

Again, thank you. And thank you as well Ayshe. Didn't find it there but did find it here.

EXILE by Edmond Hamilton
http://www.scritub.com/limba/engleza/...

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments Robert wrote: "Amanda, thank you thank you thank you. That was the story. I reread it tonight then reread it to my wife.

It brought back so many memories of being a kid, hiding under the covers, reading until e..."

Glad that was the one!

You might enjoy his other stories as well.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Gilkison | 6 comments Thank you Amanda i will look at them