The Cool Kids' Fantasy Club discussion

General discussion > Sorting Out New Reads

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James (jw89) | 17 comments After my recent completion of a series, and catching up on my recent must-reads in existing series, I found myself searching for something new to read. There are lots of lists out there, and lots of books on Goodreads that get high ratings, so finding something can sometimes be difficult. I was lucky to stumble onto something I am enjoying now, but it was, admittedly, a little bit of the cover grabbing my attention in the bookstore. (Insert something about judging a book by its cover here). Are there certain lists curated by trusted sources you go to, or certain author recommendations you find to generally be right up your alley more than others? I always worry about starting a new series because I'm not the type of person who can just read one and be done, so even if I find the series lacking, I will finish it. (My most recent sunk-cost adventure was Malazan, haha). So I'm always worried about starting a new series I won't enjoy as much but that I will be compelled by my nature to finish.

TL;DR: Good curated lists or author recommendations you trust to get you your next fantasy fix?

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick George | 5 comments I've used bestfantasybooks.com in the past. The lists can be a little generic with their ordering but without them I wouldn't have found the amazing First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat | 15 comments James wrote: "Are there certain lists curated by trusted sources you go to, or certain author recommendations you find to generally be right up your alley more than others? .."

If Mark Lawrence recommends a book, I have to read it ASAP! I have enjoyed all but one. I've gained several authors to add to what was a short list of 'Must read' authors. There was one book in particular that Mark recommended and I struggled with it at first, persevering only because Mark had raved about it. Oh he wasn't wrong and Josiah Bancroft is now one of my favourite authors. I'm impatiently waiting for book 3 in his Books of Babel series.

message 4: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Jackson | 24 comments I'll second bestfantasybooks.com. Several years ago I began reading fantasy again after a long hiatus; not knowing many SFF fans personally, the site led me to the "basic best" I'd missed out on.
I'll also second Mark Lawrence as a resource: he rarely recommends a book I don't admire. Robin Hobb won't steer you wrong either. And there are a TON of excellent SFF reviewers on Goodreads who take great care in writing thoughtful reviews. Whenever I come across one with similar stylistic interests, I'll use their shelves as a template for my TBR pile. I've discovered quite a few of my favorite authors that way.

message 5: by Pat (new)

Pat | 15 comments Jeremy wrote: "I'll second bestfantasybooks.com. Several years ago I began reading fantasy again after a long hiatus; not knowing many SFF fans personally, the site led me to the "basic best" I'd missed out on.
..."

Although I don't use bestfantasybooks.com as yet (so many books on my pile already!) I totally agree with you. Goodreads has been a great resource for my huge TBR pile.

message 6: by Martin (last edited Jul 24, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

Martin Owton | 39 comments Is bestfantasybooks.com still being updated? The front page shows the most-anticipated books of 2017 and the last archive is for feb 2018.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve | 102 comments Jeremy wrote: "I'll second bestfantasybooks.com. Several years ago I began reading fantasy again after a long hiatus; not knowing many SFF fans personally, the site led me to the "basic best" I'd missed out on.
..."

I’d second the idea of using you folks as the guide for new reads! I do sneakily use the ‘compare books’ option against many of you, in this crazy kids forum. If we have 20-30 of the same books in common, similar opinions of them then I’ll probably use your reading lists as a source of inspiration. Or maybe follow you.
Not as creepy as it sounds I hope.....!

message 8: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Jackson | 24 comments I do that all the time, Steve, and unabashedly! I sift gold from dross however I can. I think you're shelves have contributed to my TBR pile, too!