Superheroes and Comic Book Club discussion

Unique superpowers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 51 comments I love this group, but I rarely see new posts. In effort to jumpstart discussion, I figure I’d ask a few questions. The first is: “What are some of the unique superpowers you’ve seen that don’t have a DC or Marvel counterpart?” Two I created myself were a guy named Nijigen. His power is to turn completely two dimensional or just individual body parts. He often uses his arms or legs to make into razor sharp swords (think the T-1000). My other character is Xibalba. He turns to smoke that is a portal to a demon world. Anything inside the smoke is slaughtered by the Mayan gods of the underworld. The closest thing to this is the book:movie The Mist. Xibalba is especially fun because he has no control over the demons and is a serious fratricide risk.

I don’t claim to be the smartest comic fan, but no mainstream characters like these come to mind. If they exist, they’re rare. What other characters have you created or come across?

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 40 comments If you read SORCEROR'S SON by Phyllis Eisenstein the hero and his mother have a quite keen superpower. It's weaving -- not only the making of something woven, but power over anything twined, knotted, or plied.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 51 comments Brenda wrote: "If you read SORCEROR'S SON by Phyllis Eisenstein the hero and his mother have a quite keen superpower. It's weaving -- not only the making of something woven, but power over anything twined, knotte..."

Cool.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Topside Ok, so stay with me on this.....I know it's not a fictional ability, but when I first read about it a few years back, it fascinated me;

The one type of frog, Trichobatrachus robustus, breaks its own bones to produce claws that puncture their way out of its toe pads, when it is threatened. It can then passively slide the bones back into the toe when its muscle relaxes.

I think that's pretty awesome.