What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Free Spirit: Growing Up On the Road and Off the Grid
This topic is about Free Spirit
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Memoir/non-fiction: Boy moves around the country a lot with his mother-author interviewed on NPR 2010/11? [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments This book may have been published as far back as even 2009 .. but I think 2010-2011 is more likely

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Liz, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because it sounds like you're looking for one specific book.

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19148 comments Are you sure it was his mother?

There's The Next Better Place: Memories of My Misspent Youth, but the author is with his father.

Rebel Mother: My Childhood Chasing the Revolution has a mother, but the book is too new to have been on NPR around 2010/2011.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments It was definitely his mother. During the interview, the author talked about his relationship w his mother today and how it influenced his marriage. He spoke to Terry Gross (I think that’s who it was) about the relationship between his wife and his mom too.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19148 comments Do you remember why they were moving around the country? Were they on the run? Did she kidnap him? Were they constantly on the road, or did they settle down in different places for a while? Did the author have any siblings? Where was his father?

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments It seemed his mother had a kind of wanderlust you might say? They weren't "on the run." I think she might've moved when she couldn't pay the rent too?? I don't think they had much money. No, she didn't kidnap him. They would settle in places long enough for him to go to school .. but I don't think he went to the same school for very many yrs in a row and she'd uproot them again. I think he was the only child. I don't remember what he said about his father .. if he had died (and mom was a widow) or if they had divorced or never married. I have no idea about that. In the interview, he didn't talk about his father.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments Both the books you mentioned sound like they are good reads. But neither is quite the one I am wondering about. I think the book I'm looking for takes place over the 70s.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19148 comments I also thought of Free Spirit: Growing Up On the Road and Off the Grid, but it was published in 2013, so I think it's too recent.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 56 comments You don't say what country this takes place in, but your description fits Christopher Fitz-Simons' Eleven Houses, published in 2007. His childhood memories of moving from house to house are of Ireland during the Second World War.

message 10: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments This Boy's Life for the link.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19148 comments Still looking, Liz?

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments Yes. Rainbowheart wrote: "Still looking, Liz?"

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments OMG. I never saw this reply .. and I actually think this *may* be it! I would need to read a little more about the author to be sure .. but WOW. Thank You for your replies either way... Most recent and this one from yrs ago!
Rainbowheart wrote: "I also thought of Free Spirit: Growing Up On the Road and Off the Grid, but it was published in 2013, so I think it's too recent."

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments This is the author .. DEFINITELY!! I cant thank you enough. Rainbowheart wrote: "I also thought of Free Spirit: Growing Up On the Road and Off the Grid, but it was published in 2013, so I think it's too recent."

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments Yes. I think it was just solved.
Kris wrote: "Liz, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because it sounds like you're looking for one specific book."

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19148 comments Oh, awesome! I'm super glad that was the right one.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz Reagan | 10 comments Thank you so much