Archive: Other Books > Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkienkiewicz

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz
A Narrative of the Time of Nero
First published 1894
Won Nobel Prize for Literature 1905

2.5/5 stars

According to Wikipedia, Quo Vadis is a Latin phrase meaning “Where are you going?' It also may refer to a Christian tradition regarding Saint Peter. The Church of Domine Quo Vadis in Rome is built where the meeting between Peter and Jesus allegedly took place.

The story occurs in Ancient Rome at the early days of Christianity. The tyrannical Nero is the head of the Roman Empire. The novel mostly follows the love story between Vinitius, a Roman and Lygia, a Christian. The story ticks many boxes; love story, religion, catastrophe, redemption and history but I found the story slow moving and heavy on religion. Halfway through the book I didn't think very much had happened. The writing style did not work well for me and I found myself wanting to read something else. But I enjoyed the bits about ancient Rome and history. I am looking forward to watching the 1951 movie. This story may be better for me in visual form.

“I believe in God, who is one, just and all-powerful,” answered the wife of Aulus Plautius.”

“Why does crime, even when as powerful as Caesar, and assured of being beyond punishment, strive always for the appearances of truth, justices, and virtue?”

message 2: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments I've got this on my radar