Play Book Tag discussion

The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
This topic is about The Last Mile
Archive: Other Books > The Last Mile by David Baldacci (4 out of 5 Stars)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremiah (last edited Jul 20, 2018 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeremiah Cunningham | 691 comments The Last Mile by David Baldacci
4 out of 5 Stars
Audiobook

Convicted murderer Melvin Mars is counting down the last hours before his execution--for the violent killing of his parents twenty years earlier--when he's granted an unexpected reprieve. Another man has confessed to the crime.

Amos Decker, newly hired on an FBI special task force, takes an interest in Mars's case after discovering the striking similarities to his own life: Both men were talented football players with promising careers cut short by tragedy. Both men's families were brutally murdered. And in both cases, another suspect came forward, years after the killing, to confess to the crime. A suspect who may or may not have been telling the truth.

The Positives of The Last Mile
The Last Mile is the second in the Amos Decker or Memory Man series and the third of the series that I have listened to (I listened to the first, then the fourth, and now the second books in the series). Up to this point, it is easily my favorite in the series. In this book, Amos Decker continues to be a wonderfully written character but the addition of Melvin Mars as a character made the book that much more enjoyable. I believe one of the best skills that Baldacci has as a writer is the ability to create characters that jump off the page for the reader. Decker and Mars are truly those characters.

The Negatives of The Last Mile
I really don't have any negatives with this book. My four instead of five star rating is quite simply because I refuse to give mass market fiction a five star rating. I enjoy mass market fiction for its entertainment value, but it does not get a fifth star from me without something deeper in the message or the purpose of the book.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I ask myself all the time why I have not read anything from David Baldacci. I love the genre he writes and I gave never gotten around to reading anything by him. Really good review.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7249 comments I really liked this book-Amos being a new character Baldacci introduces here. I started reading the second one and had to put it down. I will have to revisit as I really did like Amos!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I know he has more than one series. Which is your favorite?

Jeremiah Cunningham | 691 comments I like the Sean King and Michelle Maxwell series as well, but I think I prefer the Amos Decker series. Amos, and really Jameson too, are just great characters. No to give anything away, but the way Amos develops through the series is really fantastic.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

J.W. wrote: "I like the Sean King and Michelle Maxwell series as well, but I think I prefer the Amos Decker series. Amos, and really Jameson too, are just great characters. No to give anything away, but the way..."

Thank you. I will add this to my list.