Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > New Beta Reader for Most any CLEAN Book

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Jul 20, 2018 10:25AM) (new)

Joanne | 22 comments I would be willing to do Beta reads for most any book which is CLEAN. I like science fiction, fantasy, YA, Japanese Literature, Manga, light novels, drama and light romance. I want standalone books only. I prefer a science fiction or fantasy story to happen on Earth not another planet. If it is another planet, make the world very believable. My favorite Science Fiction book in a long time Semiosis Another I really liked was Flowers for Algernon

I do NOT like erotica, steamy romance violence, hard core sex, or a lot of foul language. I also prefer not to read long or epic fiction. I want any world or character I read about to be very believable. I tend to steer away from books that are like "Son of the Witch Invades Planet of Doom" (sort of been there done that is what I mean.) I want it to be original.

Keep in mind that I'm a slow reader and only read a few books a month.

You can reach me by PM

Thanks

Joanne

message 2: by B.P. (new)

B.P. Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments I have on

message 3: by B.P. (new)

B.P. Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments *one. If would be willing to read fantasy

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments You can PM me about it. How can I get it?

message 5: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Pike (joshualawrencepike) | 9 comments Would you like to read Humanity in the Deep? it's an 86k word novel, it has the hard Sci-fi feel of The Expanse with strong character growth and elements of romance.

I am getting ready to start looking for Agent's and want feedback. I am looking for beta read's not for editing or anything else. I am most interesting in thoughts on the story structure, character growth ect.

When Roger can no longer make a living on his home planet he is forced to choose between lobotomizing himself, so a corporation can use his brain as a computer, or leaving his home. He is hired onto the Erikson, a city size construction ship heading to an uninhabited system. When at the build site the star goes nova, the Erikson is damaged and forced to flee.
In a system every record said was uninhabited they find a large human population. They assume it to be a dark colony, but this colony knows no earth language and lacks technology freely available when the first ships left earth.

First three chapters (book is done, but thought you might want to read these before deciding to read the whole thing): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SjXI...

message 6: by David (new)

David Wilson | 95 comments Hi Joanne, would you be interested in a historical fantasy YA? It is 90K long, probably PG rated, with a few deaths and some minor violence but nothing graphic. There is no sex or erotica (a bit of Shakespearan cursing as its set in the 16th century). If a bit history doesn't bother you I would love you to read it and give your opinion and can send a few chapters for starters. Although historic, it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Blurb:
Adventure. History. A bit of Fantasy.
Maps...and Birds.

Frother and Horrock are friends for eternity, but at a young age Frother is sent to a prestigious school in Arabia and Horrock is sent o a one way voyage somewhere south of Java. From Malacca to Europe to the southern ocean, Frother spends many years attempting to find his friend. Amongst sword fighting, his King’s enemies and a shipwreck, and with the help of birds will he ever find his friend?

Spoiler:
Frother is 1/2 thumb-sized and communicates directly with birds.

I can be contacted on dkwillow@tpg.com.au

David.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments David wrote: "Hi Joanne, would you be interested in a historical fantasy YA? It is 90K long, probably PG rated, with a few deaths and some minor violence but nothing graphic. There is no sex or erotica (a bit of..."
I'm not certain if this book would be my thing. I'm not into sword fighting and that sort of stuff. Thanks though.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Joshua wrote: "Would you like to read Humanity in the Deep? it's an 86k word novel, it has the hard Sci-fi feel of The Expanse with strong character growth and elements of romance.

I am getting ready to start lo..."
Hello Joshua, I might like this. I'm not sure. Thanks for letting me have a few chapters to look at. I will print them out and let you know.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Joshua wrote: "Would you like to read Humanity in the Deep? it's an 86k word novel, it has the hard Sci-fi feel of The Expanse with strong character growth and elements of romance.

I am getting ready to start lo..."
Joshua, I am going to PM you.

message 10: by W.D. (new)

W.D. Visalli | 35 comments Would you be interested in reading my YA Urban Fantasy novel? It's complete at 80K (still a little more editing to do, mostly to grammar, punctuation, etc.). It's similar to "I Am Number Four" and "Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children".

It's based in the real world (our world) and about a girl with Synesthesia (her particular condition is that she can see sounds as color, there are many variations of synesthesia and I'm loosely using the condition for the fantasy element).

Below is a blurb that I'm currently working on for when I submit to publishers. If you're interested please let me know and I'll provide a google docs link for you.

Synopsis:
When Allissa's childhood friend is murdered under mysterious circumstances, she begins to see the world differently. As she attends an academy for the musically gifted she begins to see and even feel the rhythms and harmonies of the world. Even stranger is that she can manipulate them, changing the world around her, making it better when the notes she plays are harmonious and worse when the notes are wrong.

As her gift begins to manifest she quickly discovers that the world is not all harmony and rhythm, Discord lurks among the song that shapes the world and that force may not only be responsible for her friends death, but may now have set it's eyes on her.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments William wrote: "Would you be interested in reading my YA Urban Fantasy novel? It's complete at 80K (still a little more editing to do, mostly to grammar, punctuation, etc.). It's similar to "I Am Number Four" and ..."Hello William, I just let someone know I was going to read their book. However, yours also sounds interesting. I will let you know when I am ready to read it. Thank you for contacting me!

message 12: by Evette (new)

Evette | 43 comments Hi,

I have a finished manuscript which is YA realistic fantasy which bends toward the literary side. The world is basically the same as ours. The time period is different. The society is theologically based. The protagonist is female. It is a mixture of adventure, tragedy, mystery, politics, and hope. There are supernatural elements toward the end but nothing over the top. I need to know where I have flaws, be they developmental or with the plot itself. I prefer sending the file and not copying and pasting.

Very briefly it is a book about a girl looking for her father but becomes entangled in a political conflict which may lead to war between her home country and their enemy to the south. Those living there are runaways who decided to flee south and forge their own country after facing persecution. There's some action as well with smuggling and traveling and stealing.

There is no sex, cursing, or gratuitous violence. I thank you for your time. I greatly appreciate it. If you have time and are interested, please let me know.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Evette wrote: "Hi,

I have a finished manuscript which is YA realistic fantasy which bends toward the literary side. The world is basically the same as ours. The time period is different. The society is theologic..."

Hello Evette, I will send you a P.M.

message 14: by Ivy (new)

Ivy | 33 comments Hello I am interested in your offer. It is 192 page young adult multicultural literature. It is Times New Roman. I'll direct message you as well

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Ivy wrote: "Hello I am interested in your offer. It is 192 page young adult multicultural literature. It is Times New Roman. I'll direct message you as well"Hello Ivy, I am interested in learning more about your YA book. I will check my message.