Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Platforms for lean/in-progress publishing?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arwen (new)

Arwen Spicer (arwen_spicer) A friend recently introduced me to Leanpub as a platform for serial publishing while (hopefully) connecting with readers/feedback. I like the idea but, looking at their site, suspect they don't represent my audience.

I'd like to try in-progress publishing for a soft science fiction m/m love story novel (of "slashy" feel). I know my intended audience; it's fangirls who like Ao3 (I'm one, by the way). :-) But I don't know how to find a platform for this. I guess an uber-successful example of publishing this way would be Captive Prince, which is an okay comparitor to my genre. I also think that was long enough ago that resources have changed.

So what are the ways in to doing this? Are there networking websites with this kind of community (us fangirls) well represented? Blog plus good use of social media? (I think Captive Prince leveraged Amazon (?)--but Kindle was a bit less of a behemoth then?) I looked at Wattpad but reviews weren't very favorable.

I welcome any insights! Thanks.

message 2: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 76 comments I've only heard good things about Wattpad. It's very popular platform, reputable and a large audience. I suggest to check it out as a reader yourself, look for things you like to read. No costs associated to being a reader on Wattpad.

I actually read about KDP from there when I was figuring out whether to self-publish or not.

message 3: by Arwen (new)

Arwen Spicer (arwen_spicer) Lori-Ann wrote: "I've only heard good things about Wattpad..."

Thanks. I appreciate the alternate view. I will give it another look.

message 4: by Arwen (new)

Arwen Spicer (arwen_spicer) V.M. wrote: "I'll double down on the Wattpad suggestion due to your genre and m/m..."

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. Hm, cast list... :-)