Goodreads Developers discussion

Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
bugs > Unable to get Book reviews by Book Id

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roit (new)

Roit Sharma | 3 comments Hi

I'm trying to get a list of reviews back from the book/show API endpoint - as far as I can tell, reviews are not included in the XML response when I use "book/show" API endpoint - here's the attributes that I'm getting back:

["id", "title", "isbn", "isbn13", "asin", "image_url", "small_image_url", "publication_year", "publication_month", "publication_day", "publisher", "language_code", "is_ebook", "description", "work", "average_rating", "num_pages", "format", "edition_information", "ratings_count", "text_reviews_count", "url", "link", "authors", "reviews_widget", "popular_shelves", "book_links", "series_works", "similar_books"]

My call looks like:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show

params {:id=>"16686990", :format=>"xml", :key=>"[redacted]"}

My Application Use Case -
I am looking to build an AI Chat bot which will let user search book by its name and once the chat Bot recieve the Book ID (from the book name) it will show first 5 reviews of book and redirect it to GoodReads if user would like to purchase the book or read more about it

message 2: by Oleg (new)

Oleg Linkin (maledictus) | 60 comments There is no api for this.

message 3: by Roit (new)

Roit Sharma | 3 comments Than What would be the best way to retrieve book reviews using Book Id ?

message 4: by Oleg (new)

Oleg Linkin (maledictus) | 60 comments Roit wrote: "Than What would be the best way to retrieve book reviews using Book Id ?"
You can get widget with reviews

message 5: by Roit (new)

Roit Sharma | 3 comments Thank you for your insights Oleg, I really appreciate your time.