Savage Author Tribe discussion

Writing > Plot Ideas

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Post your plot ideas here... hopefully, nobody will steal it...

Actually, this might've not been the best idea.

K, we need to sort a few things out. Post plot ideas here, but it's probably a good idea if you specify your copyright terms. (All rights reserved, anybody can use, etc.) Please ask the owner before you use their ideas unless otherwise said... I don't want this turning into an utter bloodbath.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool. I wonder how you actually write MYSTERY novels out of dreams, given that some of them would probably be more fantasy... or what kind of mystery are you doing? Murder? Theft?

message 3: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments I don't want anybody taking my ideas! Copyrighted!

But I've been toying with this idea that starts off as a typical "wizard picks up secret chosen one farmboy from village, magical quest etc" and turning that into a story wherein the wizard picks up TWO boys. One of them is the hero of prophecy, and the other is the villain of prophecy. The boys are best friends, but they have to fight each other eventually, only nobody knows which is the hero or villain.
So they get into the world and start forming alliances and getting involved with the wars and politicks going on, all the while trying to figure out\turn themselves into the hero. While slowly turning against each other, and turning the world against itself as it divides into two sides.

Just a rough idea for now, but definitely something I want to revisit later on.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I see someone's going to be another J.K. Rowling someday. Seriously, that's nothing I can think of. When it comes to fantasy, despite how many books I read with it, my mind goes blank when I try to write one.

The following idea is COPYRIGHTED - YOU NEED MY PERMISSION FOR THIS

As a classical music fan, I've always been thinking of making a story out of Chopin's 24 etudes/preludes. (I haven't really decided which.) Both of them show a rich variety in music, and they can probably be duplicated into a story, as I've done something like that with Liszt's Mephisto Waltz.

message 5: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Thanks! But Rowling is too kid friendly, haha!

What are Chopin's 24 Etudes\preludes? It sounds like an interesting idea, turning music into stories!

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 19, 2018 11:41AM) (new)

@Breach

XD, true...

24 music pieces... what did you think? :D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

SHINE wrote: "Leo wrote: "Cool. I wonder how you actually write MYSTERY novels out of dreams, given that some of them would probably be more fantasy... or what kind of mystery are you doing? Murder? Theft?"

One..."

Oh, nice. Does your friend also write stories other than the series that you mentioned?

message 8: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments @Leo Vosler

I just meant how do you make stories out of them?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, I just listen to them and a thought springs into my head after a while. It works particularly well when you're bored.

message 10: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Leo wrote: "Ah, I just listen to them and a thought springs into my head after a while. It works particularly well when you're bored."

Oh, that sounds awesome! Can we have an example?

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 19, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruJtU...

That was the music piece I was talking about that I made a story out of. It's kinda crude, but once I iron out the details, I pretty sure it's somewhat decent.

The opening few bars kinda gives a sense of urgency, whereas it's replaced by a bright melody later, so I saw it as a prologue to my story, where the antagonist chases someone, (I haven't ironed out the details completely), and then finally devours the person's soul, while the victim screams in horror.

It's a bit macabre...

Once the piece transitions into the brighter melody, (00:50 in the music video), I imagine it as six kids, (whom I will refer to as Kid 1, Kid 2, Kid 3, etc.), going into a funhouse of some sort, and they were invited to spent an entire day there, plus a sleepover. Kids 1-3 are friends, Kids 2-5 are siblings, and Kid 6 is all alone. I imagine this part of my story as the beginning where everything shapes up and all the character's personalities are sorted out.

By 03:02, the six kids are going to sleep, and their dorms in the funhouse are already prepared for them. It gets pretty dark, figuratively and literally, after that, because Kid 5, the youngest one, is abducted from the dorm and then Kid 6, the one all alone, is the one to wake up and hear Kid 5 screaming. After arousing all the other kids up, they go sneak towards the sound, and then see Kid 5's soul being devoured by the owner of the funhouse.

The remaining kids run and the owner gives chase before losing them, but the entire funhouse is rigged, so starting from 08:11, the owner triggers the entire funhouse-rigged mechanism, which causes things like the giant statues to come alive, the shoot-the-moving-aliens aliens to also come alive and give chase, the failure of completing the obstacle course as life and death, and by the end, only two kids make it to the exit.

That's when the funhouse owner confronts them, turns into its true form, and then kills one of the kids while the other one finally shoots the owner. (Idk why he or she had a gun, it's just there for some reason.)

Only one kid makes it out in the end, and the story finishes.

Like I said, the story was crude, but it's what I envisioned the music as.

message 12: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Huh, that;s a VERY interesting process!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

XD

Process of what?

message 14: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Taking the music and forming thoughts.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Breach wrote: "Taking the music and forming thoughts."

Yeah, I guess. It works, though. SHINE does the same with dreams too.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

SHINE wrote: "Here's some of my dreams I'm working hard on making them into mystery chapters. These are my short samples here.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Cooooool.

message 17: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Interesting, interesting...

message 18: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments SHINE wrote: "Yeah, I had to cut out all the RATED R [spoilers removed] parts out, so I can stick to kidnappings, escapes, and mysteries in order to have something without horror in them."

Why did you have to cut them out?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Breach wrote: "SHINE wrote: "Yeah, I had to cut out all the RATED R [spoilers removed] parts out, so I can stick to kidnappings, escapes, and mysteries in order to have something without horror in them."

Why did..."

Yeah, our good friend the King of Horror did plenty good with it.
Stick with gore. Get rid of nude.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

...But are kidnappings family-friendly? To some extent, I suppose. Who's you're audience?

message 21: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments SHINE wrote: "Breach wrote: "SHINE wrote: "Yeah, I had to cut out all the RATED R [spoilers removed] parts out, so I can stick to kidnappings, escapes, and mysteries in order to have something without horror in ..."

Oh, okay!

message 22: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Whatcha got so far?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

A fantasy kidnapping... interesting...

message 24: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments SHINE wrote: "Breach wrote: "Whatcha got so far?"

They do escape, but the villains fall into their own booby traps and nearly got themselves killed.

Now I'm trying to fit in the mysteries behind them with plo..."

Awesome!

message 25: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments SHINE wrote: "(I knew I had my own moto for my writings involving villains.)

"Rebel the Villains.
Lie to the Villains.
If all that fails, use booby traps.
If the Villains fall into the booby traps,
leave th..."

Good one!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

SHINE wrote: "Breach wrote: "Whatcha got so far?"

They do escape, but the villains fall into their own booby traps and nearly got themselves killed.

Now I'm trying to fit in the mysteries behind them with plo..."

In case you don't want to possibly be offended by criticism...

(view spoiler)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

SHINE wrote: "(I knew I had my own moto for my writings involving villains.)

"Rebel the Villains.
Lie to the Villains.
If all that fails, use booby traps.
If the Villains fall into the booby traps,
leave th..."

Nice!

message 28: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Monsters nobody's heard of?

message 29: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments SHINE wrote: "Breach wrote: "Monsters nobody's heard of?"

Booby traps. Not monsters."

Oh, okay, awesome!

message 30: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Well, lots of ideas isn't a bad thing! :D

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

As long as it's all entwined, that is.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Breach wrote: "SHINE wrote: "Breach wrote: "Monsters nobody's heard of?"

Booby traps. Not monsters."

Oh, okay, awesome!"

That would be cool! Can you give us an example?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome. "The Attacking Jello"... XD, I love the name!

message 34: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Oh no! :\

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

SHINE wrote: "Breach wrote: "Well, lots of ideas isn't a bad thing! :D"

Yeah, but I don't want to overwhelm myself. The last time I've overwhelmed myself, I regretfully, ripped my papers out of frustration."

Wow... and that's why I write on Word...

But still, I get the overwhelming thing. The first time I tried fantasy, it was overloaded with so many one-chapter subplots that I had to quit it entirely in the end. :\

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, look! We hit the second page... I didn't even know there was a second page!