Daphne Du Maurier Project discussion

August - Julius > Reading Julius by DDM

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.G. Lake (new)

A.G. Lake Will re-read it but only in August to keep up with the group. Probably will iBook it this time. I booking for reading is like the treadmill for walking. Very efficient exercise!

message 2: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 17 comments I just finished this one. Here is the link to the review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I will wait till more people finish before I comment on the story.

I am looking forward to next month’s read. It will be time number 3 for me reading “Jamaica Inn”.

message 3: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
I can't wait to pick this one up! I hope you are all excited for it too :)

message 4: by Britta (last edited Aug 06, 2018 04:38AM) (new)

Britta Böhler | 12 comments I will start today! I'm reading the biography (Manderley Forever) alongside and its so interesting to first read the novel and then read what DDM thought when she wrote it.

message 5: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
Britta wrote: "I will start today! I'm reading the biography (Manderley Forever) alongside and its so interesting to first read the novel and then read what DDM thought about it."

Yay! What a great idea. I hope you are enjoying Manderley Forever.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma | 1 comments I'm looking forward to joining in this time! Do we read a certain number of chapters a day/week, or just at our own pace? Thanks!

message 7: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "I'm looking forward to joining in this time! Do we read a certain number of chapters a day/week, or just at our own pace? Thanks!"

Just at our own pace :)

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen looking forward to reading this one too : )

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6 comments Just started it today-looking forward to the discussion

message 10: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
I just started today and I'm part way through part 1 - childhood.

I'm liking the setting and so far think it is quite intriguing. Julian is definitely a go-getter. It'll be interesting to see how he develops as a character.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Wow really enjoying this one so far !
I'm fascinated by Julian's character and his start to life is quite shocking

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6 comments I just finished Julius today - I don't want to give anything away but will say I struggled with his character. I look forward to discussing with everyone.

message 13: by Tania (last edited Aug 14, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Tania | 8 comments Karen wrote: "Wow really enjoying this one so far !
I'm fascinated by Julian's character and his start to life is quite shocking"

Looking forward to starting this one, but it's unlikely I'll get to it this month.

message 14: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 12 comments Ange wrote: "Britta wrote: "I will start today! I'm reading the biography (Manderley Forever) alongside and its so interesting to first read the novel and then read what DDM thought about it."

Yay! What a grea..."

I enjoy it very much!

message 15: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 12 comments I've just finished the first part (childhood). I have no clear idea yet what to make of Julius but there is a dark side to him even as a child...

message 16: by Danielle (last edited Aug 15, 2018 10:04PM) (new)

Danielle Andrews | 6 comments I've only read 20 pages and can already see a huge jump in DdM's writing compared with her last two books.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Tania wrote: "Karen wrote: "Wow really enjoying this one so far !
I'm fascinated by Julian's character and his start to life is quite shocking"
Looking forward to starting this one, but it's unlikely I'll get t..."

Hi Tania, so many books and so little time lately :o
I'm really enjoying this one

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Britta wrote: "I've just finished the first part (childhood). I have no clear idea yet what to make of Julius but there is a dark side to him even as a child..."
I'm thinking he is showing signs of being slightly psychopathic maybe, with some of the things he does as a child

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Danielle wrote: "I've only read 20 pages and can already see a huge jump in DdM's writing compared with her last two books."
Daphne's writing always amazes me,.To think this was published in 1933 !

message 20: by Danielle (last edited Aug 28, 2018 05:25AM) (new)

Danielle Andrews | 6 comments Karen wrote: "...I'm thinking he is showing signs of being slightly psychopathic maybe..."
There's definitely some type of personality disorder going on! I think Julius ticks all the boxes for being a Narcissist. His arrogance, his lack of empathy, his selfishness, his manipulative behaviour, his obsession with success and power...tick, tick, tick! He seems to display a real 'god complex'. Such a loathsome character - which is why I loved the book so much. DDM really portrayed him well!

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen Danielle wrote: "Karen wrote: "...I'm thinking he is showing signs of being slightly psychopathic maybe..."
There's definitely some type of personality order going on! I think Julius ticks all the boxes for being a..."

Hi Danielle, finished reading the book last night and i don't think i will forget the character of Julius Levy any time soon !!
The man is pure evil :o
Great read

message 22: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 17 comments In this story DuMaurier created a very nasty character that you never want to get on the wrong side of. Julius had his own way of destroying people if they vexed him. What he did to his family was the perfect example of his natiness.

message 23: by Noël (new)

Noël (the_book_rook) | 9 comments So far, Julius is an unlikeable character but he’s not one dimensional like Dick so I’m still finding him interesting. About 200 pages in now.

message 24: by Noël (new)

Noël (the_book_rook) | 9 comments Just finished! Here’s my review, I’m enjoying watching her develop her skills as we go... she’s developed tremendously. Julius is unlikeable, today we’d probably label him a sociopath or a narcissist. Even so, DDM has made him compelling and faceted in a way her previous characters were not. Of course her writing style is still what makes this shine, her words just flow through your brain effortlessly. She’s definitely showing her creepy gothic skills developing here. Can’t wait for next month’s DDM Project read!

message 25: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 12 comments I finished yesterday, and Julius Levy will stay for me for quite some time. I found the story a little 'sluggish' at times but the main character was fantastic, in a deeply unsettling way. I'm amazed that DDM was barely in her mid-twenties when she wrote the book...

message 26: by A.G. Lake (new)

A.G. Lake Ok, finished it again, this time in iBook format. Great story. Again I found several phrases that foreshadowed some of her future writings. Very late now. Will write more tomorrow. When he grabbed his daughter’s wrists he was demented. That is a sign of it.

message 27: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
I had a hard time with this one this month. It took me a very long time to finish. Daphne's writing is fantastic and she has definitely improved since her first book. Julius was a fascinating character but I just felt like I didn't care. I do like reading books with characters that are dislikable but I just couldn't get into this one. I agree with you Britta the story did feel slightly sluggish at times. I do love the darkness of her stories though. Very much looking forward to Jamaica Inn next month!

message 28: by A.G. Lake (last edited Sep 28, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

A.G. Lake I did care about Julius, a lot. And I felt DDM was extraordinarily perceptive in writing about this character, who started a chain of coffeehouses way before Starbucks, who understood he belonged to a secret city way before the Holocaust, who worshipped his father to the point of emulation.

But I am much more amazed at DDM as a writer. She was so good as if she had the keys to some other secret city herself.

Aha! Try reading St Urbain's Horeseman by Mordecai Richler AFTER Julius and you'll see what a nice main character Julius was and how Julius the novel must have been written by a young woman b/c i swear St Urbain's Horseman is a very rough read.