Japanese Literature discussion

Reading in Japanese > The worst thing about Japanese books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christian (last edited Jul 17, 2018 12:19PM) (new)

Christian (comeauch) | 230 comments The "obi" wrappers (example (although these are downright ugly)). They constantly come off when you're reading and I can't resolve to just throw them away. I usually end up putting them somewhere until they're eventually crushed under other books. And then throw them away... 😂

Do you guys like them?
/rant

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott No, they are a nuisance and I am not sure what purpose they serve. I take them off while reading and put them back when I'm done the book. If the book is in any way collectible the next owner will want it.

message 3: by Akylina (new)

Akylina | 80 comments Same here - I take them off while reading and put them back afterwards. I guess the only purpose they serve is advertising?

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott I guess, I can't read them! They often duplicate what's underneath though.

message 5: by Christian (new)

Christian (comeauch) | 230 comments True... Sometimes they have the synopsis on it though. Or some "click-bait" quote. As you said Scott, I've read that they are worth more with the obi still on. Not that I should care about their value, considering I mostly have bookoff's 100 yen stuff lol.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott They like to put those things around the spines of CDs, too. I always stick them in the booklet, if they'll fit.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 785 comments I used to try to keep them in shape, but they would easily get torn or wrinkled. At one point in frustration I threw them all away, and have kept up the habit since.

Now if I could only do the same with all those bookmarks.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Oh yeah! What's with all those randomly inserted bookmarks?

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1314 comments Wait. I LOVE bookmarks. Is there something odd about Japanese bookmarks that I'm missing?

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott They're not exactly bookmarks, they are these folded pieces of paper that are roughly bookmark-shaped that will be randomly inserted in the pages of books. I just looked in a couple books I have here and the "bookmarks" have the title of the book and a bar code, so maybe they are supposed to be removed and scanned at a store register? But some books have several...

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Just found a couple more that have Japanese writing and the ISBN...so I guess they are some kind of identifier? Still, nobody else seems to use them, so they must have a specific purpose.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1314 comments Scott wrote: "They're not exactly bookmarks, they are these folded pieces of paper that are roughly bookmark-shaped that will be randomly inserted in the pages of books. I just looked in a couple books I have he..."

Intriguing. I have the impression they are like the fragrance samples in my copies of Vogue magazine. The first thing I have to do when I get home with it is to shake it over my trashcan so that all the samples and postcards are removed, because they get in my way and add no value.

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill | 785 comments Scott: those are restock tags.

In Japan when you bought a book in a bookstore, they'd pull the restock tag out and throw it in a bin below the register so they'd know what they needed to buy another copy of.

message 14: by Christian (new)

Christian (comeauch) | 230 comments Bill wrote: "Scott: those are restock tags.

In Japan when you bought a book in a bookstore, they'd pull the restock tag out and throw it in a bin below the register so they'd know what they needed to buy anoth..."

What! That does make sense... Some of mine still have them, but I just realized those are probably the ones I bought new, online. I guess if I'd bought them from a brick and mortar stone, they would have removed it. Clever!

Some also have real bookmarks too. What I'm reading right now (Pinball, 1973) has one with a lullaby on it. For fun I found the song on Youtube.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Bill wrote: "Scott: those are restock tags.

In Japan when you bought a book in a bookstore, they'd pull the restock tag out and throw it in a bin below the register so they'd know what they needed to buy anoth..."

Ohhh that makes sense! Thank you for clearing up this mystery; I have been wondering about it for years!

message 16: by Rhea (new)

Rhea (rheashell) Scott wrote: "They like to put those things around the spines of CDs, too. I always stick them in the booklet, if they'll fit."

I've done that before. With CDs, I sometimes gently tape them to the CD, so I can still open it, but it will stay attached.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 2 comments I think I may cave and just throw out all those "obi"; there's not value in keeping them, but I feel bad reducing my books to less than "mint condition".

So glad to finally know what those slips are for. I just use them as book marks while I'm reading.

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Mestizo (teabiotique) | 1 comments Whenever I lend obi-wrapped books, they come back with the obi, so I don't really get the chance to feel guilty about throwing them away myself (which I would). Also: I haven't come across a bookmark yet! I'd keep that one!

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 785 comments Opening a random Cobalt book, I find an ad for other Cobalt books that's the right size and sturdiness for a bookmark. So I call them bookmarks :)