Larbert Library Book Group discussion

1 view
Personal Reading Recommendations > 2018 Recommendations from the Group

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larbert Library Book Group (last edited Jul 17, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Larbert Library Book Group (larbertlibrarybookgroup) | 32 comments Mod
Greetings, all,

here are a few recommendations/what else we are reading titles from last night's meeting:

The Zig Zag Girl (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #1) by Elly Griffiths
First in the Elly Griffiths Series Stephens and Mephisto Mysteries
1. The Zig Zag Girl (2014)
2. Smoke and Mirrors (2015)
3. The Blood Card (2016)
4. The Vanishing Box (2017)

Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Picnic at Hanging Rock, by Joan Lindsay
It was a cloudless summer day in the year nineteen hundred.

Everyone at Appleyard College for Young Ladies agreed it was just right for a picnic at Hanging Rock. After lunch, a group of three of the girls climbed into the blaze of the afternoon sun, pressing on through the scrub into the shadows of Hanging Rock. Further, higher, till at last they disappeared.
They never returned.

The Lying Game by Ruth Ware
The Lying Game, by Ruth Ware

From the instant New York Times bestselling author of blockbuster thrillers In a Dark, Dark Wood and The Woman in Cabin 10 comes Ruth Ware’s chilling new novel.

Atmospheric, twisty, and with just the right amount of chill that will keep you wrong-footed—which has now become Ruth Ware’s signature style—The Lying Game is sure to be her next big bestseller. Another unputdownable thriller from the Agatha Christie of our time.

Circe by Madeline Miller
Circe, by Madeline Miller
In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child—not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power—the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller
Profoundly moving and breathtakingly original, this rendering of the epic Trojan War is a dazzling feat of the imagination, a devastating love story, and an almighty battle between gods and kings, peace and glory, immortal fame and the human heart.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (pebbles912) | 9 comments Thanks for posting your list. I’d definitely second the Madeline Miller books.

Larbert Library Book Group (larbertlibrarybookgroup) | 32 comments Mod
Nicola wrote: "Thanks for posting your list. I’d definitely second the Madeline Miller books."

They were just fabulous!

I can also now heartily recommend Zig Zag Girl. I took it home on Tuesday evening, and had finished it by Wednesday evening! Very well written in that you just get caught up in the mystery. A great diversion book, or a book for a long journey when you have time to just get lost in it :)