New Providence Memorial Library's Online Reading Group discussion

Libraries Rock 2018 > Libaries Rock - Week 4

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Providence (new)

New Providence (npml) | 302 comments Mod
A month into summer reading already? This summer is flying by! What title(s) have you added to your to-be-read pile recently? How do you keep track of them? And was there ever a point when you realized there are "so many books, so little time"?

My TBRs are on a Want to Read bookshelf in GoodReads. Perhaps "bookcase" would be a better word since it has over 250 titles on it. Recently I added "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine," which the NY Times put on a summer reading list for 2017 and described as "a satisfyingly quirky novel"; "Equal Rites" by Terry Pratchett, recommended by a NPR contributor as one of many points of entry into the Discworld series, and "This is Where You Belong" by Melody Warnick, about deepening your attachment to the place where you live.

If you comment by the evening of Sunday, July 22, you will be entered in the drawing on Monday, July 23, for a gift certificate donated by Prestige Diner, one of NPML's Adult Summer Reading Sponsors.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy | 28 comments I too use Goodreads "Want to Read" shelf to keep a record. But I add more than get to read and now at a whopping 367!!! I just finished Educated by Tara Westover; she's a learned survivor.

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Oh No! Just looked on Goodreads and I have 609 on my TBR pile! One of these days I have to clean that up. No way can I read all those when the list is always growing.
which brings me to the questions about when did I learn "so many books, so little time". Many years ago I worked part time at BH Library and it was a quiet Tuesday night so I was emptying out the returns bin, checking books back in. No computers then. Well, I kept putting books aside that looked good to me. After emptying the bin I looked at the pile I had made behind me and realized then that I'd never get to read them all! Especially thinking of all the books currently being written and those to be published in the future.
OK...more chores to do and then reward myself with a cup of tea and try to finish "Bring Me Back" by B. A. Paris which is due back to the library today.

message 4: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne | 67 comments I do put books on my Goodreads account, but hardly ever remember to look at it! Sadly, I take pictures of covers of books I like, write notes on my phone of books recommended to me, and write notes that I leave around the house about books I want to read. Reading "Free Food For Millionaires" now, which is entertaining. Happened upon it on Hoopla, by chance.

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Rosanne - I love Hoopla!
You reminded me that I have slips of paper all over my desk and in an envelope with slips of paper too. And, here I thought I was the only one to do that
A friend of mine took all of her scraps and taped/glued into a book. That's a project I'd like to do...some day...

message 6: by Karen (last edited Jul 18, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Karen Thornton (karenstaffordthornton) | 65 comments I look at my Goodreads TBR list all the time! Right now I have 784 books....I'd better get cracking.

Eleanor Oliphant is really good. I just started reading The Little Stranger as it's been on my list for awhile and will be coming out in theater's in August. I added Fingersmith by Sarah Waters as well. One book I'm really looking forward to is From the Corner of the Oval about a White House stenographer during the Obama administration who then transitioned into the Trump administration, albeit for a very short time. I heard her on the NYT Book Review podcast, and her stories seem fascinating.

Someone on that same podcast brought up a point about the concept of a "vacation read" and how people apparently want to ready fluffy books while on vacation. I had to agree with the commentators and say nothing is further from the truth with me. I want something weighty on vacation because that's the only time I truly have to focus.

message 7: by Helene (last edited Jul 18, 2018 10:02AM) (new)

Helene Langezaal | 31 comments I hardly use my Goodreads account. Most of my TBR inspiration I get from browsing bookstores (often times at train stations) and then make a note on my phone. Other times it is a recommendation from Kobo. I have a Kobo ereader and they send me recommendations and deals. (Those are very dangerous, as I tend to buy book when I like it even though I do not need more books on my Kobo. I currently have about 300 on there and at least 200 I have not read.
I am currently listening to Dan Brown's Origins. I really like the book. My latest addition was Garbage bag suitcase, a Kobo recommendation, no idea when I will get to it.

message 8: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments Hi all, I

I use Goodreads "To read " feature to keep track.

The "too many books, too little time " concept was a gradual realization over the years as my list gets longer, as I buy used books by the dozen at the American legion sale every spring, as my house has a bookshelf overflowing in just about every room, AND ...at the end of every year when the NYT and NPR and Goodreads etc release their best books of the year lists !!! 😂🤣😆

Sangeeta