The Macabre & Creepy Edgar Allan Poe group discussion

Purloined Letter > read & discuss

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
ok, folks, this story got the most votes, so we will start with this one,and also THE BLACK CAT. see that folder for why i also chose that one..... lol!

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
what is so cool about this story, is that according to what i've read over the years that this story,MURDER IN RUE MOGUE, and the MARIE ROGET , that poe started a new genre, the murder mystery!!! these stories were the inspiration for sherlock holmes for sir arthur conan doyle. heck, i just read a james patterson novel, the whole thing in one day,and poe is supposedly the forefather of these types of stories. that i find to be so amazing. i also find it amazing to see that poe really is very broad in his writings,and what he attempted to write about. he wasn't afraid to experiment,and he did his writing his way. he was not terribly popular in his day, because his writings, themes , etc, were so different. he dared to be different.

message 3: by Gary (last edited Aug 17, 2009 06:10AM) (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
many scholars consider him to be one of the best american writers ever,and the man also dared to try to live on his writing career,and basically was a pauper because his work was considered to be the work of a hack. he didn't get paid much for his work, but he did get published,and he did get read.
if he had lived today, i believe he would have been more successful then stephen king. look how well stephen king has done is his career. poe , in my estimation was the first stephen king. the first h.p. lovecraft,and other type writers. he poured the original mold of mystery,horror, and the thriller, which many people enjoy today.

poe is also most articulate. yes, i have to use a dictionary sometimes, but that's good! i've increased my vocabulary because of poe. this story and others made poe famous all over the world.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
Anyone finish the story? Åny discussion???

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Guire | 5 comments Finished it. Didn't care for it. Too brain-dead to come up with any relevant discussion.

message 6: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
ok, tell us why you didn't care for it???? brain dead, bitch!

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
lol!

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Guire | 5 comments I guess the middle part just seemed cumbersome and heavy with description. I kept feeling like, "OK, get to the point already." In general the story just did not hold my attention.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) We need Brad to weigh in on this. Oh Brad, come to us!

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
Oh brad?? brad??? are you out there, brad???? hello???? *echo echo echo*