Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Uninvited
This topic is about The Uninvited
Quarterly Irish Reads > Q3 QIR 2018: The Uninvited Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids The discussion thread is now open!

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I think a few of you are waiting to get copies. I have mine but have other books I am trying to get through first. Please post when you are starting so I can be on top of things.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I'll probably start this next week :)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I read the intro last night, and if you get The Tramp Press edition of The Uninvited, you will have it. The author was part of a wealthy family - I think Macardle ale. She was a feminist, and a Republican, and was jailed for some of her radical activities. I love the idea of the "Recovering Voices" series, published by Tramp Press.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I'm 60 pages and it's delivering. It is interesting to compare writing of this time - the 1940's and now- for a book of this genre. From the description, we know it's a haunted mansion in Cornwall. The story is unfolding at a satisfactory rate. If it were written now, I'd expect all sorts of twists included just to create "artificial" atmosphere. It's refreshing to read a classic.

Bookworm with Kids I quite enjoyed this book but I found the writing a little stilted - quite 'jolly hockeysticks' comes to mind. I felt it was slightly drawn-out, that it could have been shorter without loosing any of the suspense. What does anyone else think?

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "I quite enjoyed this book but I found the writing a little stilted - quite 'jolly hockeysticks' comes to mind. I felt it was slightly drawn-out, that it could have been shorter without loosing any ..."

I'm stalled as I have started reading books from the Booker Longlist, and am reading Inch Levels for my contemporary Irish book club tomorrow, which BTW is stunning.
I agree that the prose is dated and it is drawn out. I plan to pick it up later today and aim to finish in the next couple of days.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I finished it and actually the last part was more compelling. I can see why this is a classic of sorts. I will move over to the spoiler thread now.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I should add that it is worth finishing as there lies the satisfaction. It could have been shorter, but...
Also Macardle's own story as a feminist and revolutionary is interesting. I disagree with her ardent support of De Valera who embodies the values that made the lives of so many Irish citizens miserable for decades, especially for women.