2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Angie's 50 Book Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:24AM) (new)

Hello, hello to anyone who's poked their head in here!

My goal for 2018 is to read at least 50 books. I've exceeded my goals the last two years, but I've been trying to get my law practice off the ground after Hurricane Maria and it's been eating up a lot of my free time.

My biggest challenge is letting go of books I'm not into, and I'm going to be working on that as I go. If the book is not working for me, or if it becomes a chore to read, I'm setting it aside and picking up something else.

The books I've read so far include:

1. I Give You My Body... by Diana Gabaldon
2. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
3. One Eyed Dukes are Wild by Megan Frampton
4. Fire and Fury by Michael Wolf
5. Habibi by Craig Thompson
6. Lord Dashwood Missed Out by Tessa Dare
7. Love Poems by Nikki Giovanni
8. Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts
9. We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
10. Loving vs. Virginia by Patricia Hruby Powell and Shandra Strickland
11. Love Her Wild by Atticus
12. The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
13. Goth Girl and the Fete Worse than Death by Chris Riddell
14. Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen by Chris Riddell
15. Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright by Chris Riddell
16. Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman
17. Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
18. Mort by Terry Pratchett
19. Carry On, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
20. A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers
21. Step Aside, Pops by Kate Beaton
22. Texts From Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg
23. The Woman In the Window by A.J. Finn
24. Artemis by Andy Weir
25. An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole
26. Giant Days, Vol. 7 by John Allison
27. Giant Days, Issues #29 to #33* by John Allison
28. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
29. Ghost Stories by E.F. Benson
30. Mary's Monster by Lita Judge
31. Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards
32. A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain
33. Men Who Wish to Drown by Elizabeth Fama
34. Wicked and the Wallflower by Sarah MacLean
35. The Prey of the Gods by Nicky Drayden
36. Death in a White Tie by Ngaio Marsh
37. The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas
38. Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill

*The total amount is 44 at this point, since Goodreads counts each individual issue of Giant Days as a book in itself.

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Angie wrote: "Hello, hello to anyone who's poked their head in here!

My goal for 2018 is to read at least 50 books. I've exceeded my goals the last two years, but I've been trying to get my law practice off the..."

Sounds good Angie! Wishing you the best of luck with your goal & happy reading!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Susy wrote: "Angie wrote: "Hello, hello to anyone who's poked their head in here!

My goal for 2018 is to read at least 50 books. I've exceeded my goals the last two years, but I've been trying to get my law pr..."

Thank you! Happy reading to you too!

message 4: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments You are doing AWESOME Angie more then half way there. Do you have a book that you recommend or would read again? I wish you the best of luck if you need anything let us know.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Blagica wrote: "You are doing AWESOME Angie more then half way there. Do you have a book that you recommend or would read again? I wish you the best of luck if you need anything let us know."

Thank you so much! We Should All Be Feminists was an amazing read, the kind of book you want to put in everyone's hands the moment you're finished. Definitely would read it again, and I'm now seeking out more of the author's work!

A Closed and Common Orbit was another great one for me. I read the first book in the series just after Hurricane Maria, and I was just swept up in the space adventure and the dynamic of the Wayfarer crew. This one follows two characters a lot more closely and I can't recommend it enough. Chambers just has a way of making all her characters feel so human!

message 6: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Angie wrote: "Susy wrote: "Angie wrote: "Hello, hello to anyone who's poked their head in here!

My goal for 2018 is to read at least 50 books. I've exceeded my goals the last two years, but I've been trying to ..."

Thank you Angie!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Two more books done and done! Death in a White Tie and The Assassin's Blade have been added to the list. I'd never read any Ngaio Marsh before, but now I think I'm going to have to start this series from the beginning. I really loved Roderick Alleyn.

Next up, I'm thinking Hope Never Dies, but I've also got my eye on a couple other books in my TBR. I'm also thinking I might set up a Member's Corner to write out how I plan to tackle that massive TBR of mine, and also control my book buying compulsion. I really want to stick to this plan I've got in my head.

Happy reading!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Another book done! I wound up picking up Iron Hearted Violet one night because I was too tired to try and engage with any of the others I had in my TBR. And it was so good! For children and pre-teens especially, I highly recommend!