Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Using Goodreads as author hub - Amazon reviews question

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (last edited Jul 14, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Tom Wood (tom_wood) | 263 comments I tried to research this, but no joy. I'm about to launch a book series and I'm considering the Goodreads author's page as my main social media hub. (Not set up yet.) But, I have a concern about Amazon's practice of removing reviews by people who have a connection to the author.

There is some anecdotal speculation that a Facebook or Twitter connection to a reviewer will get their review at Amazon deleted. If I interact and friend/follow/be-followed-by people here on Goodreads, will Amazon delete any reviews they leave at Amazon?

message 2: by Jim (last edited Jul 14, 2018 12:15PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1133 comments Tom wrote: "I tried to research this, but no joy. I'm about to launch a book series and I'm considering the Goodreads author's page as my main social media hub. (Not set up yet.) But, I have a concern about Am..."

Tom,

Amazon deletes only those reviews that are deemed inappropriate or unduly influenced by the author of the work reviewed either through a close personal relationship with the reviewer, an offer of some type of compensation by the author, or promise of a reciprocal review.

For whatever reason, the vast majority of avid readers choose to never post a rating or review of the books they read. So, rather than dwell upon reviews, focus upon striving to continuously improve upon and polish the basic skills and tools associated with writing professionally. Remember: reviews do not drive sales. Sales drive reviews.

Millions of novice writers are striving to become commercially successful in an extremely competitive field. Very few will ever succeed. However, there is no reason why you could not be one of them.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Wood (tom_wood) | 263 comments I like the way you think!

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2201 comments I don't think Amazon will delete reviews on their site from people your friends with on here. I'm not sure on that but I don't believe they do, if they do then Amazon really is shooting us all in the foot and making it even more difficult to go out and get those reviews.

message 5: by Tom (last edited Aug 30, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Tom Wood (tom_wood) | 263 comments This issue is active again on Twitter. Though not about Goodreads, but Twitter and Facebook:

https://twitter.com/DavidGaughran/sta...