What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Memory of Earth (Homecoming, #1)
This topic is about The Memory of Earth
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-Fi: Majority of plot takes place on a planet that is implied to not be earth, the main protagonist lives on the outskirts of a city that is both advanced, yet archaic in technology, having computers, yet no efficient form of transportation [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Al-Nimer | 1 comments The majority of the plot takes place on a planet that is implied to not be earth, the main protagonist lives on the outskirts of a city that is both advanced, yet archaic in technology, having computers, yet no efficient form of transportation. He begins to hear a voice in his head detailing a situation so outlandish that no one will believe him.
Despite this voice, events start to slowly spiral out of control within the city as the political environment suddenly becomes much more volatile(cant remember why). In the murder and chaos that soon follows, a Conqueror from a different land comes in with tanks of steel arrives and quickly assumes control of the city.
More political bs continues until the majority of the important characters realize the conqueror plans to kill them by the end of the week. The voice inside of the main characters head begins to act like some sort of predictor that after a few examples, makes everyone in the group believe in the main character.
Escaping the city, the voice then retries to explain whats going on. It states that they are on a planet that was settled 10000 years earlier after the earth was made uninhabitable. It then goes on to tell them of how it is a mega computer in a satelite in orbit capable of supressing memories.
These memories include many of the inventions of the 20th century and of their earth based origins. The satellites power has been waning over time which has caused the memories of these inventions to be revealed, such as the tanks used before.
Fearing a repeat of what had happened in the past the computer devises a plan for them to build a ship to go and resettle on earth, with a new system in place. Infighting occurs while building the ship, inside the ship, and on earth. I dont remember anything beyond that.
only women lived within the city.
the city also had some mythological like name to it
the book is old
at least 40-50 years old

message 2: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments This is "The Homecoming Saga" series by Orson Scott Card.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4041...

I know it's newer than you say, but too many points match for it to be anything else. First book in the series is The Memory of Earth.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36591 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card (first book in the series) - Bargle's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=Gz5... There are different cover images.

message 4: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments Do we want to call this solved or wait for confirmation from the OP?

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I sent a PM to Sarah.

message 6: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments So, no word from Sara I'm guessing? I'm sure my answer is correct. I say it's time to move this to either Solved or Possibly Solved.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40658 comments Mod
I think things in Possibly Solved just land in a purgatory. I'd rather let this sit in Unsolved for a few more months to give the OP a little more time to respond. The thread isn't that old.

message 8: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments Bargle wrote: "So, no word from Sara I'm guessing? I'm sure my answer is correct. I say it's time to move this to either Solved or Possibly Solved."

Reminder bump. It's been a while now. Maybe message the OP again?

message 9: by Bargle (last edited Jul 05, 2019 05:19AM) (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments I've sent her a private message, so maybe she'll come in and confirm it for us. Thing is, she hasn't been active since posting the question.

message 10: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments I never heard back from her and there have been no more comments anywhere from her. I think it should be moved to Solved.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Oct 30, 2019 05:17PM) (new)

But she thought it was "at least 40-50 years old." Isn't it possible she's referring to something else? (The first book of Homecoming Saga was published in 1992.)

message 12: by Bargle (last edited Mar 29, 2020 04:26AM) (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "But she thought it was "at least 40-50 years old." Isn't it possible she's referring to something else? (The first book of Homecoming Saga was published in 1992.)"

No, she's somehow gotten way off on the date. As I said in reply #2, too many things match for it to be anything else. It has the following bits.
Planet that isn't Earth, but is Earth-like.
Computers, but no efficient means of transport.
Lead character hears voice in his head.
Conqueror from another city arrives in wheeled vehicles.
Group of characters escape the conqueror with the help of the voice.
Voice reveals itself to be an orbiting computer and can suppress people's thoughts.
They repair a spaceship and head to Earth.
Only women lived within one city.
The city with a mythological-like name is Basilica.

Here's the Wikipedia page for the series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homecom...

message 13: by Bargle (last edited Jun 26, 2020 03:32AM) (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments Now in solved.
Sorry to be a nag, but I'm still sure I've correctly identified this query. I was an active member of the IMDb 'I Need to Know' board (now defunct) for 17 years. That board handled questions like this about movies and TV shows. The thing someone asking (including me) a question was most likely to be way off about was the year.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Ok.

message 15: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1386 comments Thanks! :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Memory of Earth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Orson Scott Card (other topics)