Play Book Tag discussion

The Heart's Invisible Furies
This topic is about The Heart's Invisible Furies
2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Buddy Read Challenge - The Hearts Invisible Furies

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (last edited Jul 15, 2018 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments So far, three of us are reading this book potentially for the July Decathlon. I (Amy) have already read another buddy read, so this one likely won't qualify for me, and its my second of three buddy reads. However, since I am almost done and I can only assume the other two are already done, I thought I'd better open the thread.

Reading the Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne for July 2018 decathlon, is

Kristel
Amy
KSZR
Rachel Levy
KateNZ

Feel free in addition to review, and July Decathlon reporting, to form a discussion here, welcome to everyone. Indeed I can completely understand why this book is getting 5 stars across the board. I am loving it too...

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments Rachel Levy is in too... Folks who didn't even know it was happening are welcome to join. I found that Kristen just happened to be reading it, and told her it was a "thing." That she could get decathlon points for.

KateNZ | 2671 comments I read it already during July - fabulous book. It’s probably cheating to join in with the buddy read now ...!

Susie | 4488 comments I’m going to eagerly watch the discussion as I loved it too.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments It’s not cheating. You’re in Kate!’s not your fault that it wasn’t so incredibly widely announced, at least not with an established thread.

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments I did read it and will watch, join in discussion. I am not doing the decathlon. I read this for my F2F bookclub read for July. For some reason I have had a lot of LGBTQ reads this year. This was the best written. I looked at it more as historical novel about Ireland, using social issues to show the history.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments At the very least kszr can get the points and the credit. All the rest of us are just having fun.

KateNZ | 2671 comments Thanks, Amy!

As a non-spoiler starter, I really liked the 7 year format to the chapters. A great way to get through a lot of time in an orderly way and show what’s changed - and what hasn’t ...

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments I liked that too! However this question of the thread makes me wonder, In this month can you get points for more than one buddy Reid at a time? I had thought that you only got one. I’ll ask the question of the moderators in another thread. But even if Kristen had not intended to do the Decathalon, She accidentally fell into it and should get the points. But then again I guess you have to go to the July reporting to get them. Anyway, I’m at 85% done with the book close to 90.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments I am with the rave! I just loved it! 5 stars for me, and squarely in the top ten for the year. I always get a little afraid when a book is over-hyped and the bar is set high. This one did not disappoint.

What a tapestry of a life - and loved the inner journey as much as the outer one. I love how well woven it was. Beautifully done!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

KateNZ wrote: "Thanks, Amy!

As a non-spoiler starter, I really liked the 7 year format to the chapters. A great way to get through a lot of time in an orderly way and show what’s changed - and what hasn’t ..."

I like this as well. I like the order especially after the last book I read. But I agree, the layout really helps keep the reader engaged with what has happened, the changes, etc.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished up Part II....I did not anticipate this. I have so many emotions about this. Starting Part III now.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished this book. I cannot put into words how much I love this book. Truly. It was 600 pages of wonderful and I didn't want the story to end. Wow. So many emotions and thoughts. Where is everyone at in this book?

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments Done and ready to chat.

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 110 comments I have about 100 pages left and I have loved every page of this book so far.

Susie | 4488 comments I’m so glad to hear that everyone has loved it so much.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

One of the things I loved about this book is the humor Cyril has not had it easy, throughout his life and he seems to rely on humor so often. The dialogue in this story is absolutely amazing and so often I found myself laughing and wanting to cry on the same page.

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9364 comments I felt the same way. I loved the dialogue and how natural the humor felt and flowed. That's why it so felt like a movie to me while it was happening. I could just see and hear the whole thing. Humor really did carry him through some quite touch upsets. I actually liked the ongoing humor between Cyril and Alice, which was never present in the least in their first relationship incarnation. I love how Cyril comes alive and more himself as he ages.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Cyril and Alice had me laughing outloud at times. Once in the middle of Starbucks. I love the family he made for himself. And I also love how much more alive he becomes as he ages but also how much more comfortable he becomes with himself.

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments I loved the humor in this story that could have been so very painfully hard to read.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Humor is an amazing thing in life and getting through difficult times. I felt very connected to Cyril in this way. Often I try to find some humor when things are just getting too serious but then can get right back into the serious. It takes the edge off a little.

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 110 comments I just finished. 5 stars and a bunch of hearts! I loved it! I love Cyril and his humor. I want to be like Catherine when I grow up. I’m doing 24in48 so I will post more Monday.