Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Magazines

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roberta (last edited Jul 13, 2018 03:33PM) (new)

Roberta  | 87 comments When adding a book, the drop menu for Media Type contains the categories of book, periodical, article, and non book. I thought that this only applied to the original publication but that everything we add at the top of the page was supposed to be a book. Correct?

The items I'm questioning were originally published as issues of a magazine, but have not been published as books:

Galaxy March/April 1995 Vol. II Issue 2
Galaxy Science Fiction April 1954 Vol. 8 No. 1
Galaxy Science Fiction, April 1958 (Volume 15, No. 6)
And there are 100 more where these came from.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
Roberta wrote: "everything we add at the top of the page was supposed to be a book. Correct?"

Correct. Working on those.

message 3: by Roberta (last edited Jul 14, 2018 03:01AM) (new)

Roberta  | 87 comments Ok, I was pretty sure that when the directions said books, they meant books. But it's like there is an underground magazine group, like a parasite, attached to Goodreads.
The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, July/August 20181 of 733.
Uncanny Magazine
Clarksworld Magazine
Apex Magazine

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5876 comments Roberta wrote: "Ok, I was pretty sure that when the directions said books, they meant books. But it's like there is an underground magazine group, like a parasite, attached to Goodreads. The Magazine of Fantasy & ..."

At least some of these magazines have asins. I thought this was allowed.

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 15, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7153 comments I asked a similar question 9 months ago. Perhaps there could be further discussion on this issue.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7153 comments Corinne wrote: "Oh yeah. I remember that one. Thanks for linking."

Took forever to find it, as group search isn't working. :-(

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "At least some of these magazines have asins. I thought this was allowed."

When they are published as Kindle editions, they stay. However, if they have ASINs just because they are listed on Amazon (but are not actually published as a Kindle edition), they should not.