PSI Book Group discussion

1st inspiring book you read this summer?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Gonzalez | 5 comments Mod
I just finished "Troublemakers: Lessons in Freedom from Young Children at School" by Carla Shalaby and it was phenomenal! I posted a review for it on the book's Goodreads page. Here's a snippet of it:
As soon as I was done with this book, I wanted to reread it. This book is filled with gems to observe that I want to go back to and reflect on, gems such as, "The extent of our willingness to change children, coupled with the extent of our unwillingness to change schools, must awaken our collective moral conscience toward a new imagination and approach" (160).

Anyone else have the opportunity yet this summer to read a book that inspires the work we do?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Wedge | 3 comments Reading “A Lawyer’s Journey: The Morris Dees Story.” He founded Southern Poverty Law Center. While it’s not an education book per se, it’s inspiring to me because it helps me think more about my capstone question, “Why am I here?” Why am I, a White woman, teaching in Boston?

Morris’ experience growing up in the segregated South compelled him to fight the injustice around him, even though as a White man, he could have easily pursued any other, easier, path. I don’t stay working in Boston because the job is easy, but because I believe in the work that still needs to be done here.

Hope you all are continuing to find inspiration that makes you believe in the work we are doing. September is right around the corner!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Gonzalez | 5 comments Mod
I love how you are connecting with your capstone question!