Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Edition with ASIN and ISBN

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Could someone please remind me what we should do with the editions that were imported with both ASIN and ISBN?

Split it into two editions: ebook and Kindle?

I remember rivka correcting it once after me but have spend an hour searching for this thread already and still can't find it...

message 2: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22205 comments They are remnants of an import bug. The book page shows an isbn13 for a Kindle edition, the edit page shows the ASIN. Saving the page (without making any changes) keeps the ASIN, which is how these should be treated.

(When the isbn is also used for non-Amazon ebook editions, a new ebook edition can be created. I have to say I've corrected loads of these, especially German editions, but never created an ebook edition for them.)

message 3: by Olivia (last edited Jul 12, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments The format is set to ebook on this one so I guess people would shelve it as such, so is it acceptable to leave it as an ebook and create Kindle?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

EDIT: and it's Smashwords Edition

message 4: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22205 comments I would revert the publisher and format change (since these were changed by a bot after the isbn was imported to this ediiton; that's not visible from the changelog, but I remember it happened around 2013/2014).

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14887 comments Olivia wrote: "The format is set to ebook on this one so I guess people would shelve it as such, so is it acceptable to leave it as an ebook and create Kindle?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1......"

It was originally a Kindle edition but onix smashwords changed it to an ebook in 2014.

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Arenda and lethe,
Thanks for all the help :)

I'll keep the existing edition as Kindle.