Springfield-Greene County Library District discussion

Is the book always better than the movie?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Is the book always better than the movie? Maybe not.

This Buzzfeed article highlights some movies that are considered better than their original book.

Do you remember a time you hated the book but loved the movie or TV show?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 33 comments I can't think of a time that I actually hated a book but liked the movie...but I agree with the Buzzfeed list in that "The Princess Bride" movie is better than the book. I actually liked the book a lot, but I LOVE the movie.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments I liked the movie version of The Fault in Our Stars better than the book. In the book, I felt like the characters weren’t believable and they came off really arrogant. I’m in the minority when it comes to John Green; I’m not a fan of his writing style. With the movie version I connected to the characters more and sobbed towards the end even though I knew what was coming.

message 4: by Niki (new)

Niki (jnbradley) | 2 comments I thought Trainspotting was a much better movie than a book. Admittedly, I never got all the way through the book - Irvine Welsh writes in a stream-of-consciousness style with a very thick Scottish dialogue. And the movie has Ewan McGregor and a gorgeous young Johnny Lee Miller, so...

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 7 comments Someone mentioned it on the other board, but I much prefer the movie version of "A Little Princess" to Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess. The book has not aged well.

I've heard the tv show is much better than the book(s) when it comes to The Magicians by Lev Grossman and bad reviews have kept me from reading to find out for myself.

And who can forget the Percy Jackson debacle? Certainly not Rick Riordan. He's been incredibly outspoken about how much he hates the movie versions of his books.

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 1 comments Sam wrote: "Someone mentioned it on the other board, but I much prefer the movie version of "A Little Princess" to Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess. The book has not aged well.

I've he..."

If we go by the Percy Jackson movies then yes, the book is always better than the movie. There was nothing good about the movies.

I looked through the movies on the Buzzfeed article and while I have seen most of the movies I haven't read many of the books. I did recently read "The Last of the Mohincans" though and loved the book. For me the two don't compare, in that they are so different I can't put one above the other.

Other than the character names and the setting there was no correlation so I'm taking the easy out and saying that I love both

message 7: by BJ (new)

BJ | 10 comments I know I'm a little late, but I think the movie version of The Perks of Being a Wallflower is considerably better. Of course, that one is fairly unusual because the author of the book also wrote and directed the movie, but it is still a good one to bring up for this.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

BJ wrote: "I know I'm a little late, but I think the movie version of The Perks of Being a Wallflower is considerably better. Of course, that one is fairly unusual because the author of the book ..."

I STILL haven't seen the movie, but mostly because I was afraid it wouldn't hold up to the book, which I loved as a teen. Going on my list!