Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Which Feminist do you admire the most and why?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 12, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Hey Everyone!
As asked, I admire Emma Watson and why?
Emma Watson was too young when she start speaking for feminism, she become UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, The accomplished actor, humanitarian will dedicate her efforts towards the empowerment of young women and will serve as an advocate for UN Women's HeForShe campaign in promoting gender equality.
She is not afraid to be herself, to say what she want to, to point out what the truth is and that's makes me her biggest admirer..
So, who do you admire? Comment below..

message 2: by Anshul (new)

Anshul Singh | 7 comments I admire so many ladies from such diverse areas. From Serena Williams to Priyanka Chopra. From Yrsa-Daley-Ward and Rupi Kaur to Sushmita Sen. From Malala to Amal Clooney. Michelle Obama. So many of these vocal, strong and intelligent ladies shaping the organization of our world.
My mother. The always so silent. resilient. the smartest and most beautiful form of love .

message 3: by Ghada (new)

Ghada (unicornreader) I'd definetly have to say Mona Eltahaway who is an Egyptian writer and columinist. She was there during the Egyptian revolution and she experienced so many hardship because of simply being a woman. She also has a very clear and open mind towards woman's issues and homosexuality.

My next favourite feminist is Malala although I am not sure if she identifies as a feminist. Regardless, I have huge respect for her because she does stand for what she really believes in despite all the death rates and the near death experience.

Finally, Emmat Watson inspires me. Whilst acting she also pursued her studies at Brown university in English Literature and she continues to be an advocate for human and woman's rights by making groups like this for example where feminists can come together.

message 4: by Muktai (new)

Muktai | 1 comments Hi Anshul, I agree with you. There are so many strong, intelligent women who have contributed to the world.

If I have to choose, then it will be Maya Angelou. Her poems and books capture the essence of what it means to be free and empowered as a woman, and particularly a black woman. In today's world where words are caged by the limit of 140 characters, through her poems, I love to remind myself how words hold the power to bring about a social change. I also loved how she wrote about her own life, something parallel to the works of Frida Kahlo i.e. being the subject of your own work. Most women are raised to be the 'second citizen', we are riddled with self doubt, and many of us don't think that we deserve a seat at the table. Also, talking about yourself can be misconstrued as being cocky. Therefore, it is rare to find this celebration of one's own thoughts, feelings and being a woman.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 9 comments Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 9 comments Suad Amiry! Palestine ❤️