Some Kind of Book Club discussion

Girl Made of Stars
This topic is about Girl Made of Stars
Book Club Picks > August Buddy Read Thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 02, 2018 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Buckley (rachelbuckley3) | 28 comments Mod
This month's book is Girl Made of Stars! Track your progress and discuss your thoughts here!

Happy reading πŸ’•

Update: I'm not gonna be able to get this book until closer to the middle of the month because I'm moving back to my college town, but I can't wait to see what ya'll think of it! :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll pick it up at the library next time I go! Can't wait.

β€” Massiel (rollitosdecanela) starting this book today :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ill catch up!

Jody (jodyjotes) | 6 comments So this one is a soul rip. As a therapist I worked with rape survivors for years. The older I get the more I wish people let survivors control what happens to themselves afterwards, not their parents, not their friends, schools, or police (or even therapist themselves.) It always becomes about everyone else's feelings and what the survivor "should do." Telling the story from the sister's POV of the prep takes me out of my comfort zone in a good way. I have no idea where it will all go. What strikes me is how realistic it is in that the boy is NOT a monster and people think he can't have done it unless he is a monster. The sad thing is just like murder "normal" non-monsters do commit this crime. They should be held responsible and face consequences (and get therapy too.) Often whatever the justice system or everyone else decides is wrong and not helpful to the survivor who is the most important person. The perpetrator needs to be thought of too in regards to rehab and education. If we keep thinking "only monsters do this" we make people into lying monsters. Some people could take that comment as "sticking up for the perpetuator" when what I really want is to stop people from traumatizing other people.

Jody wrote: "So this one is a soul rip. As a therapist I worked with rape survivors for years. The older I get the more I wish people let survivors control what happens to themselves afterwards, not their paren..."

I agree that this perspective is not normally seen in books, but also that this needs to be seen more. I'm only 20 pages in, but I already see Owen as a sweet person with a good family and friends, which takes away the "monster" label typically attached to people who commit these acts. It's hard to comprehend that most of the time when assaults like these take place, the person behind it is someone the victim knows and trusts. Books don't typically focus on the person who commits the assault and how he/she gets help or how the family responds, so this will definitely be an interesting, eye-opening read.

Update: I finished this book, and it was so well written. It was uncomfortable to read at times, but that's how an accurate look at rape culture should feel. I loved that we got to hear two stories, not just one, and I loved how supportive all the side characters were to the ones in distress. I can't wait to see what ya'll think of this because it's such an important read, and I'm so glad we picked it :)

β€” Massiel (rollitosdecanela) chapter 4

(view spoiler)