The Sword and Laser discussion

Android App - July 2018 update

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments Is anyone else extremely disappointed in the groups functionality in the updated Goodreads app for Android? I used to use the "Unread" discussions feature all the time and it would appear it no longer exists.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6925 comments Mod
People use the Android app for groups? Given how bad it was before, it doesn't surprise me the update made it worse.

Personally, I just use Chrome for all but book status updates.

message 3: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments It was handy for catching up on non-spoiler threads. At some point I clicked on the options to make the Goodreads app the default for opening the links, so I had to open an ingognito window everytime I tried to use Chrome. Anyway, just dug into the app settings to turn that off....

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6925 comments Mod
It's ridiculous that using chrome is necessary. The fact that they changed the app shows that it's not bad because they don't want to invest in it, but because no one on the development team must have a clue how people use the website.

message 5: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1651 comments Not that this helps, but I just checked the iOS app since I had seen an update go by for it recently as well. And the unread heading is still at the top of the list and functional.

I do on rare occasion access the site via that app on my phone, but on my iPad it is only through Safari.

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1678 comments GR is aware of these issues since many of us have complained here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I agree that the loss of 'unread' feature in groups is the biggest drawback. It makes the app the antisocial version of GR, compared with desktop.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1977 comments I can't remember how the app was before because it was so bad I never used it, but the I tried the new app and deleted it immediately. I found it impossible to browse the various sword and laser threads, and since that is mainly what I use the app for, it was useless.