Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > August 2018 Summer Blockbuster Group Read

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:55AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4810 comments Mod
The August group read theme is Summer Blockbuster. In other words, read a book that brings to mind a summer blockbuster movie. It doesn't have to be based on an actual movie, just full of all the exciting things that make them so fun.

Please make a nomination selection that meets the qualifications based on this theme and the other general guidelines of the group.

(Please recall that we don't vote for books we've already read--There's a link below to check our list of previous group reads).

Here are the other considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).
6. Authors are asked not to nominate their own books or solicit nominations from members.

Please feel free to include a blurb for the book so others know a little about the book, along with your Goodreads book link.

The poll will post on 6/18/2018

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2914 comments Mod
I'm not thinking of anything...give me a day or so. Summer Blockbuster...okay.

message 3: by Prasanna (new)

Prasanna (ceesar) my nomination Term Limits

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
I just started reading Hell Divers (Hell Divers #1) by Nicholas Sansbury Smith Hell Divers and so far it seems like it would make a great summer blockbuster...so that's my nomination!

More than two centuries after World War III poisoned the planet, the final bastion of humanity lives on massive airships circling the globe in search of a habitable area to call home. Aging and outdated, most of the ships plummeted back to earth long ago. The only thing keeping the two surviving lifeboats in the sky are Hell Divers—men and women who risk their lives by skydiving to the surface to scavenge for parts the ships desperately need.

When one of the remaining airships is damaged in an electrical storm, a Hell Diver team is deployed to a hostile zone called Hades. But there’s something down there far worse than the mutated creatures discovered on dives in the past—something that threatens the fragile future of humanity.

message 5: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I use the app so I have limitations. I nominate
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 7: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 180 comments I nominate: The Former Assassin The Former Assassin by Nikki Stern by Nikki Stern

Susan Foster wants to retire. Her boss wants her dead.

After decades as Victor Kemp’s off-the books killer, Suzanne finally quits. Not until five years later does Kemp discover how thoroughly she’s deceived him. Determined to punish her, he tracks her to Wales to watch her die. Instead, he walks into a trap.

Believing themselves safe at last, Suzanne and her family relocate to London, where she hopes to find the peace that has eluded her for so long. Her son is engaged to a nobleman’s daughter; her husband has a good job with British Intelligence. Yet she still struggles with restless dreams and the premonition that her nemesis has survived.

He has: Kemp, though severely injured, is rebuilding his empire and plotting revenge. He’s prepared to risk everything to end the former assassin. He may not be the only one.

Suzanne has no choice: to protect those she loves, she will be forced to kill again. Assassins, it seems, can never retire.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

These are all great nominations! Thanks!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. Drop by and vote by July 25th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Hell Divers won the poll. Discussion starts on the 1st of August. Thanks for voting!