The Great American Read discussion

Old Posts 2018 > goodreads issues, warnings and questions - tech, privacy, spam, hacking, ADS

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
This is a place to ask questions or post information about goodreads (other than about our group). This might include Technology questions, privacy/hacking concerns, warnings, upcoming changes, advertising, or anything other concerns.

Linda is our resident expert on goodreads issues and developments.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments haha, I wish I could say I were once again blissfully ignorant!

If you´re inundated with spam friend requests (Cyrillic text in bio, recommending that you visit a pirated lit site to download a book you´ve already read before), then you can read the topic ¨Russian Hack?¨ in the GR Feedback Group.

Here´s the biggest one that has many concerned. And since they keep closing threads, the idea that they´re going to tell everyone their data´s compromised seems highly unlikely:
Just a heads up-people are still reporting problems with their emails appearing when they request a person's friendship on GR, even when their settings say "Share email with no one".

Someone keeps opening threads asking if they are GDPR compliant, and they keep closing those threads, claiming that they are responding to individual emails (which wouldn't solve the problem for the other million of us). The people who are opening threads say that they reported the problem 1-2 mos. ago, and have not received a response.

message 3: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I just got a friend request from someone and it showed me her email address. I don't know if she set it as private.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "I just got a friend request from someone and it showed me her email address. I don't know if she set it as private."

If you recognize the person from groups, etc. (basically, if you'd accept the invite), I would write to her and let her know that the email is showing. And direct her to "Goodreads SHARED MY EMAIL without my permission!" thread. We're all pretty sure that regardless of settings, this is a GDPR violation, since until you accept her request, you're technically not friends. But they keep closing threads except for the above thread, when people inquire as to their compliance with GDPR regulations. Maybe Zuckerberg's comeuppance this week will be a warning....not that I think this crash will have made Mr. Z start selling the vacation properties or consider public schools, or anything.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I just got a friend request from someone and it showed me her email address. I don't know if she set it as private."

If you recognize the person from groups, etc. (basically, if you..."

It was a person with 1000 friends, and 5 books on her shelf (I'm only slightly exaggerating), with completely different tastes. This suggests she's more interested in data collection than friendship. I didn't see Russian characters this time at least.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I just got a friend request from someone and it showed me her email address. I don't know if she set it as private."

If you recognize the pers..."

Mine wasn't Russian, mine came from Bombay. It almost looked as though the person behind the account and the personal email address didn't match up. It seemed as though the personal email came from people in the US, really "gringo names" (don't know how else to explain things like "Misty", "Brandy", etc.) with a profile of someone with a complete different name, living in Bombay.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I added "ads' to the heading. All of a sudden I'm getting "sponsored ads" on Goodreads for racy stuff such as "The Sexorcist". I don't remember clicking on anything particularly sexy lately, so I don't know why I'm getting that.

I learned my lesson on Twitter about Liking or Retweeting Political jokes and messages. Now that's practically all I'm getting on my twitter feed.

Usually on Google there is a way to give feedback if you're getting ads you don't want. (Though I'm still getting ads for designer handbags because I looked at them when I was doing Christmas shopping.)

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "I added "ads' to the heading. All of a sudden I'm getting "sponsored ads" on Goodreads for racy stuff such as "The Sexorcist". I don't remember clicking on anything particularly sexy lately, so I d..."

This is a "sponsored ad", so nothing you did. Should be something that everyone is getting. I don't get them because I use AdBlock, works like a charm. If it's the banner going across the top of the home feed page (which I don't use), I think there's a right-click way to get rid of it. Those "sponsored ads" are a result of someone spending money to push a book.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments okay, just as I posted the warning in all of my groups, I'm doing the same here with the fix.

If you no longer wish your account to be searchable by your email address (you don't want people with your email to be able to find you here on GR), then there is now a setting to indicate so.

If you had "show my email to no one", they have defaulted the setting for you, I believe, and your email will not be visible to anyone.

If you want your email to be visible to your GR friends, the setting will now read "to my friends and friend requests". In other words, if you were keeping the email private, they're going to respect that automatically, and changes will be (can I get a hallelujah) "opt-in", not "opt-out", as they usually are.

To see the explanation of the new setting, I'm posting the link to the same thread. This is a big "yay".
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "okay, just as I posted the warning in all of my groups, I'm doing the same here with the fix.

If you no longer wish your account to be searchable by your email address (you don't want people with ..."

Thanks LInda for keeping us up to date with this. For people who are concerned about privacy, a few other tips:

Don't use your full name as your handle, or on your profile.
I went back and deleted my last name from my profile.

Consider using a secondary email address instead of the one you use for work, finances, etc.

Don't be too specific with your location on your profile.

Don't give your exact birth date on your profile.

Also - don't complete quizzes or surveys online from ZOO. This is the kind of thing that Cambridge analytical used to create profiles to better manipulate people. I saw one quiz last night on Accents, and they added in a lot of irrelevant questions about your interests, favorite activities, and attitudes.

AVOID ZOO