The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > How Much do You Spend on Books?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 54 comments Today while talking to my boyfriend about how I read WAY to much i figured out that i spent at least $600 on books in the past year. That doesn't include borrowed books, books from school or books bought with gift cards. I decided that that number sounded a little high, but who knows maybe it's cheap compared to others. So, how much do you spend on books on either a yearly, monthly or even weekly basis?

message 2: by Mary (last edited Aug 16, 2009 06:28PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments I don't even want to guess! I buy A LOT of books. According to Amazon I have spent $336.00 since July 1st. So if I do the math...that comes out to about, er, over $2500.00 a year, on Amazon that is, which is my main source. Yowsah. I think I have a leetle problem.

message 3: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments ooh I spend a lot on books too...but no idea how much.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments Way more than I should

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) I used to spend about $40 a week at B&N. That's $160 a month and $1920 a year. That wouldn't include what I spent on Amazon or used book sales.

Baltimore has a free bookstore that I found so I've managed to cut down some.

$600 doesn't seem bad at all. :)

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 54 comments now looking at this, $600 does not seem bad at all, actually it sounds really good. I wish i had the money to buy $2,000 worth of books per year. If only i had a job or some sort of income (I'm in High School) . now I'm almost out of cash, I'm gonna have to find a job just to support my reading obsession

message 7: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I won't give numbers, but I spend a lot. I'm trying to circumvent my spending by using the library, but for me it's optimal to own books.

message 8: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I've managed to cut my spending on books this year by buying a lot of them from thriftstores. This way I don't feel deprived when I don't come home with bags of books each week. But, pretty much all of my entertainment budget is spent on books.

Petra kissed a frog and he turned into a toad (petra-x) Probably about $1,000 a year, at wholesale prices too! I used to spend a fortune before I had a bookshop because I can't resist art books and a lot of the books I like are hardback only. But that is only about $20 a week and I spend on snacks and treats and books are so much less fattening :-)

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) For a long time I spent as much as $3,000 on books. For the last decade, and especially the last few years, I've cut way back.

I usually now spend just a couple of hundred dollars a year, and I generally buy books I can't get at the library or ones I know I'll want to reread.

So, for years now, I've needed to rely on the library. (I'm sure there were years when I spent way more than $3,000 on books.)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I really, really, really, don't want to know how much I spend on books. I would like to stay in denial and think that they just magically appear on my bookshelves...

Or in my flat...

Or in my bag...

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I never really thought about it...Maybe I was avoiding it. I know I haven't spent much more than about $100 in the last year. There aren't any bookstores where I live so we shop on Amazon and pretty minimally too. We've been moving around too much.

I know in the past I've spent probably about $500 a year in books. That's retail, resale, online, and library sales which includes school books (art students don't usually require a ton of books) and comic books. It doesn't seem as bad as I thought. But it's still pretty crazy to think about.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sophie, Bag? Or bags plural?!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sophie, Bag? Or bags plural?!

I used to go to the library sales and come away with many, many bags of books.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments Library sales are my new found weakness!!! But how can you resist all those gently used books for so cheap??

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz Probably more than I should, but I always contemplate my purchases carefully and sometimes if I'm leaving the house and know I'm going to a bookstore, I'll investigate my funds to see how much I can spend, and then I check afterwards to make sure it came through as it should.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It depends on where I have gone shopping!

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) ohh I don´t wanna know how much I spend...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Carol wrote: "ohh I don´t wanna know how much I spend..."

See I'm not the only one!

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie Melissa wrote: "I used to spend about $40 a week at B&N. That's $160 a month and $1920 a year. That wouldn't include what I spent on Amazon or used book sales.

Baltimore has a free bookstore that I found so I've..."

Baltimore has a free bookstore!?! Where is this mystical place?

message 21: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I don't actually buy many books anymore but I'll estimate that I've spent about 3-4 hundred dollars so far this year in shipping on trades and such.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) Katie,

Baltimore's FREE Bookstore is:

The Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc.
3001 Vineyard Lane
Baltimore, MD 21218

They are open on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 to 6pm.

Their mission is to put unwanted books into the hands of those who want them.

Books are organized by genre but that is it. They don't alphabetize them at all, so it can take a bit of time to go through the shelves if you read different genres.

I've found quite a few used books there and they are FREE! Parking is very minimal but I try to make it up there a few times a year. They have a website so you can google them.

message 23: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 55 comments I have no idea how much I spend. I really, really try to frequent the library but get frustrated having to be on hold for weeks and weeks for bestsellers, so Borders is my second home.

Just two days ago I had my first used book sale experience; I got 12 books for $10 dollars. Great titles, too. Let's just say, I'm hooked. I've already got next weekend's used book sale spocked out, but THIS time I'm going to pay the extra money for the preview sale to see what books I can grab before everyone else does. Oh boy...

I would rather spend money on books than anything else.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I am really, really trying to cut back. I have tons of unread books at home but still i find myself wandering the aisles of chapters with my armns full.

I find the library frustrating since I can never easily locate what I am looking for and often times the hold lists are months or even years long.

Lately I am becoming a much bigger fan of used book stores, that is helping me cut back my spending as well.

message 25: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) I don't want to know what I spend! I love Barnes and Noble! With my little membership card, I'm always getting special coupons and I love ordering online as well as stopping by the nearest store! I probably spend about $40-$60 a month on books either at B&N, Costco or Target! I'm really trying to cut down on that though.

I also love scoping out our local S.P.C.A yard sale! They have tons of books for only 25 cents each. So, not only am I buying something I love, I am also helping out the animals at the shelter. :)

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie Melissa wrote: "Katie,

Baltimore's FREE Bookstore is:

The Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc.
3001 Vineyard Lane
Baltimore, MD 21218

They are open on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 to 6pm.

Their mission is to put unw..."

Thanks for the tip, Melissa!

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz Monica, is uisng your B&N card online worth it?

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (celesi) As much as possible. Last year, with disposable income I probably dropped...at least a thousand on books. I know I spent $250 on Black Friday, and got ticked when Borders didn't give me any sales for that.

This year, no income whatsoever...I've still spent probably 300-400 dollars on books. Which is why I filled out the vow in the must read TBR books!

message 29: by John (new)

John Burns I only buy second hand books. I guess this year i've bought something like 25 books at an average of £1.70 per book which is £42