Henrico County Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading? > What's on your July reading list?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henrico (new)

Henrico Library (henricolibrary) | 5 comments Mod
What has everyone been reading this month?

message 2: by Ame (new)

Ame (ameb33) | 43 comments Currently reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe for my TGAR list, and one thing I like about the writing style is that it sounds like someone is telling the story orally around a campfire. NoveList Plus calls the writing style "candid" and that feels suitable.

Also listening to I'll Be Gone in the Dark by the late Michelle McNamara, and it's already given me at least one nightmare. If you enjoy true crime and feel like scaring yourself, I recommend it!

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggieallbee) | 36 comments I just finished Things Fall Apart, and I agree it reads like a campfire story. Good description!

Thanks for sharing that about I'll Be Gone in the Dark -- that sounds right up my alley.

message 4: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 19 comments I loved I'll Be Gone in the Dark! The audiobook was amazing. I am finishing up The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, which I started because of the movie trailer. It is so atmospheric and scary, but in that way where you don't know if it is really scary or just makes you feel like you should be scared even if nothing is happening.

I also just started Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova. It is interesting so far, but I think the action actually starts in the next chapter.

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggieallbee) | 36 comments Just started Outlander today -- I like it so far! Also getting ready to start A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena. Looking forward to seeing if it's as good as The Couple Next Door, which was amazing.

Also reading The Nesting Place, a home decor book. Love it for giving me permission to have an imperfect home that I can still love, right now.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa K | 16 comments While at the beach last week I read The Invisible Library / Genevieve Cogman (a good Rook / OMalley read alike) and Meddling Kids / Edgar Cantero (which was exactly the Scooby Snack I needed). Also, I started my longest TGAR choice: a reread of Moby-Dick, which I very much liked when I read it 15 or so years ago.

message 7: by Kareemah (new)

Kareemah | 30 comments So this month I’ve really enjoyed several of my reads. My hands down favorite for the year is From a Certain Point of View, an anthology of 40 short stories set in the time frame of Star Wars IV: A New Hope. You see the action from all kinds of peripheral characters overlapping views. Stories included were written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker - Renee Ahdieh - Tom Angleberger - Meg Cabot - - Delilah S. Dawson - Ken Liu - Nnedi Okorafor - Daniel Jose Older - Madeleine Roux - Sabaa Tahir - Chuck Wendig - Wil Wheaton . Another fun read was Dear Mrs. Bird. Now you will have to suspend your disbelief that anyone could be quite as naive as our main character but I enjoyed it all the same. Set during the Blitz in England during WWII you get a taste of a young woman's life and work while the bombs are falling and lives are being radically changed forever. White Teeth by Zadie Smith has me getting more of her stuff on my TBR. British Indian Muslims (practicing and not), Jamaican Jehova's Witnesses (willing and not) and a genetic scientist all walk into a pub. Not exactly but it's a romp worth the read. And a surprisingly sweet coming-of-age-when-your-parents-wouldn't-let-you-before-college novel : American Panda by Gloria Chao. Taiwanese in ethnic origin but from Massachusetts thankyouverymuch Mei is battling more than just freshman Ivy League pressure. Her parents are expecting her to become a doctor but Mei has a tiny problem they just don't seem to understand. Aside from the other problem they refuse to understand...dancing--all kinds-- makes her feel alive. Throw in a Japanese love interest - her parents *really* won't even try to understand that-- and it's a well written and fun.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa K | 16 comments OMG, put a hold on From a Certain Point of view without even reading to the end of the sentence! :-D

message 9: by Kareemah (new)

Kareemah | 30 comments Lisa wrote: "OMG, put a hold on From a Certain Point of view without even reading to the end of the sentence! :-D"
It was really a lot of fun. Some of the stories really are LOL funny.

message 10: by Ame (new)

Ame (ameb33) | 43 comments Kareemah wrote: "Lisa wrote: "OMG, put a hold on From a Certain Point of view without even reading to the end of the sentence! :-D"
It was really a lot of fun. Some of the stories really are LOL funny."

I ended up purchasing that book because I was so excited about it!

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggieallbee) | 36 comments That book might work for my husband! He's extremely difficult to do RA for, because he is kind of all over the place and not good at verbalizing why he does or doesn't like certain books. But he does love Star Wars and he's been looking for an audiobook that would work for his short commute. I told him to look for a collection of short stories -- this would fit the bill! Anyone know if it's available as audio?

message 12: by Kareemah (new)

Kareemah | 30 comments Maggie it is available in audio. I listened to it , they have a full cast and use music and sound effects and everything!

message 13: by Kareemah (new)

Kareemah | 30 comments Anyone have any feedback on "From a Certain Point of View"? I sensed some excitement earlier in this thread :)

message 14: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggieallbee) | 36 comments Kareemah wrote: "Anyone have any feedback on "From a Certain Point of View"? I sensed some excitement earlier in this thread :)"
My husband is listening to it now, and he says he really likes it. He's a pretty big Star Wars fan, and difficult to please when it comes to books, so I am taking this as a high compliment.

message 15: by Kareemah (new)

Kareemah | 30 comments YAY! I really enjoyed the Timothy Zahn books and the X wing series but everything else has been pretty hit or miss.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa K | 16 comments Kareemah wrote: "Maggie it is available in audio. I listened to it , they have a full cast and use music and sound effects and everything!"

lol - I just went to your page to tell you how much I am liking it! Jot's story is my fav so far (I'm about halfway through). The first story was tough for me to get into - almost thought I might not be the right kind of fan.

message 17: by Kareemah (new)

Kareemah | 30 comments Lisa wrote: lol - I just went to your page to tell you how much I am..." I did find I loved some, liked some and found some close to meh. Partly I think, by the end of the book, you'd heard the same story many many times and that might contribute to some of my impatience. But the book wouldn't have worked any other way.