Play Book Tag discussion

Nader: Crusader, Spoiler, Icon
This topic is about Nader
Archive: Other Books > Nader: Crusader, Spoiler, Icon by Justin Martin -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Nader: Crusader, Spoiler, Icon by Justin Martin
4 stars

When I hear Nader's name, I think of his presidential campaigns. Mainly, in 2000, when many people blamed him for Gore losing Florida. I am not old enough to have known the Nader of the 60s and 70s, but, after reading about him, I am amazed at everything he has achieved.

Consumer rights advocate. This is commonly the word applied to Nader, but it fails to really encompass the issues he has been active in. Nader is a wonk. He loves diving into obscure issues that are dry and boring and then bringing them to light, often to the detriment of big business. He launched his career with a report that highlighted the pervasive dangerous design decisions being made by the automobile industry, especially the Chevy Corvair, before moving from obscure topic to obscure topic.

Raising awareness that consumers have a right to demand safety, inspiring a generation of young activists, starting organizations that carry on through today. Nader did all of these things—many times over—as the Washington outsider who worked well with the insiders and orchestrated the media coverage perfectly.

That is, until he didn't.

Perhaps times were changing. Perhaps Nader's intensity, lack of loyalty, and often brash manner finally lost it's charm. Perhaps he accomplished what was accomplishable. Whatever it way, Nader spectacularly fell from Washington's graces, and only cemented that downfall with his 2000 presidential run where many people felt that, not for him, Gore would have won Florida and the presidency (to be fair, I do not think you can blame Nader for this. There were many missteps on Gore's part and the correction of any one of them would have changed the outcome of the election).

This book was well-researched, well-written, and I greatly enjoyed it. Another great choice by my professor for my summer Social Justice class!

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments This sounds really interesting, Nicole :)