Addermire Institute (Semi-Advanced) discussion

Addermire > | library

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

The Outsider (Whales or Whatever) (davekatislife) | 1501 comments Mod
description

message 2: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Zinovia had spent many hours scouring over the titles that lined the library wall to wall, floor by floor. She'd read hundreds of these books and still had yet to put a dent into the massive collection that they had here at Addermire, and while she loved to read - it was still overwhelming, even after having come here for three years now. It was almost unsettling how much knowledge was stored in this one room, how many lives had been devoted to the volumes and series, legacies engraved in the ancient papyrus, some so archaic they weren't even available to the mundane world. She sat by herself at a table on the lowest floor, a chandelier up above dimly lighting the room around her. She had just gotten back from her nightly swim, a rather eventful one at that.

message 3: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

She had been alone. And that was nice, briefly. She noticed someone else there though, someone leaning against a bookshelf a few feet away. Zinovia raised her brow as she turned the page to her own book, eyeing the girl up and down curiously.

message 4: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Zinovia noticed the girl was fidgeting and seemed somewhat distressed. She raised a brow and leaned forward a bit, "Hey are you okay?" she spoke up, breaking the thin veil of silence that had been steadily forming between them.

message 5: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

She seemed somewhat surprised, glancing around the empty library before clearing her throat, "... Zinovia, you can call me Zinny though" she offered. The other girl seemed young, kind of lost and maybe a little distraught. "You can sit down if you want" she offered awkwardly.

message 6: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Zinovia watched her go, eyes widening in surprise as Mary walked away. Had she said something wrong? Her brows knit against her forehead and she slowly buried her face back into her book, feeling a little paranoid - especially considering recent events.

message 7: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Zinovia gazed at Mary, raising her brows, "... Are you okay?" she asked, grinning nervously and tilting her head.

Jameson scoured over the shelves, eyes flickering over each and every title - looking for one in specific. He'd been doing some research into Nordic etching, ancient symbols that'd been found around some of the bodies. Technically he was supposed to be in class but technically he wasn't a student - so he wasn't particularly worried about that. He stopped as he reached the novel he'd been searching for, carefully plucking it from its placement and blowing dust off of the surface. It clearly hadn't been touched in years.

It had to be around four in the afternoon as he stood on the second level, leaning against the rail and opening the book, holding it between his fingers and flicking through its contents.

message 8: by kaya, true neutral (new)

kaya (ananats) | 307 comments Mod

Rune should be in class. But it was some pointless class that he'd chosen simply to have one that he could skip without missing anything important, so he felt no guilt in slipping into the library in search of his target. Upon spotting Jameson, he moved quickly over to where the angel was standing – although not so quickly as to be suspicious. Tilting his head to read the title of the book, he laughed softly. "Norse myths? Intriguing. What's an angel like yourself doing reading about such things when you ought to be in class?" He needed to be careful – no mentions of Defacto until he'd figured the boy out, and even then he needed to watch for any signs that he might not want to join. The vial and syringe in his pocket felt heavy, and he resisted the urge to fiddle with them. Part of him was curious to see how an angel reacted to venom – but he knew he had to be patient.

message 9: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Jameson sensed him the moment he came in. As he did most people. His eyes flickered up momentarily, "What is it to you?" he asked suspiciously, holding the book closer to himself and taking a step to the side. He didn't like being too close to people he didn't know - which was everyone.

message 10: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune sighed, eyes dropping to the floor – the picture of disappointment, harmless and approachable. "I was only curious," he said softly. "I didn't mean to alarm you." Come across as harmless, friendly. Don't reveal anything until you've gauged the best way to hint at it. Watch all his reactions. Wait for the right moment. He gave Jameson space, not wanting to scare him off too soon. "Jameson, isn't it? I think you're in my Chem class."

message 11: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

He was cautious, eyeing Rune up and down. Why is he here? He thought to himself, mulling over every possibility in his mind. The school was large, massive even, what were the odds that Rune would come across Jameson? Why would he approach? He never paid mind to Jameson during chem class so why now? He'd certainly seen the other in class as well but he'd never seemed very friendly. What caused the sudden change in disposition? "Yeah. You're Rune. You sit at the back of the room next to the third window to the left of the bookcase." he muttered absently, "I'm reading it for personal studies"

message 12: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune was slightly alarmed and mildly impressed by the accuracy with which Jameson had identified where he sat in chem. "You pay a lot more attention than I do in class, clearly," he joked, moving slightly closer as though he were simply shifting from foot to foot out of an inability to stand still. "That's cool. Norse mythology is interesting, but personally I've always preferred Hindu mythology. Maybe it's just because it has beings and stories that I can relate to more." He shrugged.

message 13: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Though he was rather cold outwardly, Jameson really was quite intrigued, raising his brows only faintly. He had a mission sure ... but would it hurt to just indulge himself for a few moments? He didn't quite notice Rune getting closer in the midst of contemplation. "... so you're not from Portermount then?" He asked. Portermount had its own vast mythologies, not many people born and raised here studied mundane myths. It was almost impressive even, that Rune had done his research.

message 14: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune frowned. Jameson seemed surprised that Rune knew about things outside of Portermount. "No, I'm from Thailand. Were you born here?" It had never occurred to him that there were quite a lot of people who had grown up in Portermount all their lives and never learned about the mundane world. When he'd been younger, it had been much more obvious — his accent had faded from the years spent around people with different accents, and his English had improved markedly (although there were still moments when he struggled to understand some things, usually when he was tired).

message 15: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Jameson blinked, thinking about it for a moment and struggling to come up with an answer to that question. He didn't want to talk about where he was really from. He hailed from a rather highclass family - though he was trained as a royal guard, he had to dress down to go here, trading his expensive suits and slicked down hair for a more.. modern highschool look. He wasn't very good at hiding his body language though, stiff and proper. "New York. I'm from New York." he replied cautiously.

message 16: by kaya, true neutral (new)

It was rare that Rune could maintain a proper conversation without needing to choose his words. And it was strange that this of all interactions was the one where he managed a proper conversation. "That's cool. How many people at this school were born here, do you think? I never seem to find anyone who's not from the mundane world, and I'm kind of curious now." He smiled. "So out of all the Norse myths, which character is your favourite?"

message 17: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

He raised his eyebrows, glancing around, "I'd say about half of the people here, maybe more, were born in Portermount. It makes sense, at least to me, they've known about Addermire their whole lives." he explained briefly before his lips curled into a faint smile, "... I like Freyja,Loki is interesting though. What's even more thought provoking is that these myths were about real people - people we can probably still meet today. That's... fascinating" he went on before stopping himself, "Oh - sorry, did you have a favorite?" he asked.

message 18: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune nodded. "Yeah, that's the coolest part – aside from maybe how different mythologies have common elements. Like, these people must have travelled a lot." Focus, you idiot, he thought. You have a job to do, you can't waste time talking about things you're interested in. "I love Skaði," he said. "She's just... so interesting. And I guess I've always just seen her as the one who doesn't put up with any of the gods' rubbish. Even Odin and Loki don't mess with her." There, he'd mentioned the headmistress and Tobias. Now he could watch Jameson's reaction. Rune moved closer, squinting at the runes on the spine of the book. He knew he should have taken that elective, but learning one new language and script was hard enough.

message 19: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Jameson listened closely and nodded along, squinting just faintly as his gaze flickered over Rune's soft features. He quickly turned away, glancing down at his book, "To be fair, Loki's always been somewhat of a coward." he pointed out suddenly, "He might talk a big game but the moment things ever get tough he just... ducks out." he replied, furrowing his brows faintly.

message 20: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune shrugged. "But he's the god of mischief, isn't that the whole point? He causes trouble but keeps himself out of it, then watches the result." He pointed at a word on the spine of the book. "What does that say? I really should've taken that elective, but the idea of having to learn another script was just... very unappealing." If he was being honest, he was vaguely curious as to what it meant, but it wasn't the purpose of him asking. He needed time to think about the best approach. The boy seemed malleable, but he was distracting – which meant that Rune needed to use his own distraction to his advantage, somehow. He needed to show Jameson that mundanes weren't good people – that they were below sparked people. Which was possible, he'd done it before, but something about this boy just made him want to be himself. And while he seemed loyal to the cause, Rune was acutely aware that the world was not as black-and-white as people liked to think it was. But if Defacto were going to win this, then Rune wanted to be on their side. Even if he didn't agree with them entirely.

message 21: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Jameson tilted his, considering it for a moment, "Regardless of his domain, does that really give him an excuse? Surely he could cause mischief without running away with his tail between his legs every time right?" he shook his head, glancing down at the book again, "Uhm... It.. means rune." he chuckled faintly, "Or well, it means written or language, but in context it means rune." he explained, "None of that's actually interesting though... Is it?" he spoke with the faintest tone of suspicion, narrowing his eyes expectantly. "How long have you been learning English?"

message 22: by kaya, true neutral (new)

"I never meant it as an excuse, merely an explanation," Rune replied easily. "Every mischief-causer has their own particular preferences. Loki's might be running away, or getting people killed when they don't deserve it." He cast his eyes downwards, knowing that while he wasn't the best at looking like a kicked puppy it still had some effect. "Since I got my letter. I was ten, I think, and my dad spent hours trying to set up the laptop with an ethernet cable so that I could do the online course he found. I mostly learned by experience once I got here, though."

message 23: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

"Oh?" Jameson looked genuinely interested - and he was. It was refreshing to actually talk with someone. He was always buried in work, so having a conversation, especially with someone interesting, felt... novelty. "Could you say something? In Thai? If it's okay with you - I've just never heard the spoken language" he asked. He was never a good liar - the fact that he'd never heard Thai was probably a dead giveaway that he'd never actually been to New York, let alone lived there, an incredibly diverse region.

message 24: by kaya, true neutral (new)

just pretend it's thai i don't trust google translate

Rune smiled. "Sure." He thought for a few moments, then spoke again. "I wish emotions were less complicated," he said quietly – despite suspecting that Jameson wouldn't understand him. It felt weird, speaking a language he had barely used since he left home, but also comforting in a way. Somewhat like this entire conversation – which was disconcerting. Rune was used to being on his guard during conversations, or constantly trying to achieve his goal. He rarely talked to someone about something that interested them both, aside from some of the other members of Defacto – but that was usually about murder or similar.

message 25: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Jameson raised his brows, smiling, eyes growing brighter as he held his book a little looser. It was a rather unique language. He wanted to hear more. But he figured he probably shouldn't ask, he didn't want to offend Rune. "Do you miss Thailand?" he asked curiously.

message 26: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Focus, you idiot, this isn't what you came here for. Rune shrugged. "Sometimes. I miss my family, mostly. And my pets. The neighbours, not so much." He wondered, briefly, whether his brother had successfully managed to assassinate the neighbours' snake dog yet. He hoped so – it would mean that his pets were safer, and able to roam more freely. "What about you, do you miss New York?" He wasn't sure whether he was asking out of genuine curiosity or out of a desire to get more leverage. Rune hated being confused, and he hated this sudden ability to get distracted by a simple conversation. "There's so many people there, I think I'd suffocate." There, he'd found a narrow link to his purpose.

message 27: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Oh dear. Maybe he should have chosen a place on Earth he knew more about. Like Colorado or... Ohio? He knew nothing about the United States. Ugh. This was disastrous. He was actually beginning to feel bad for lying. "... No." he chuckled nervously, "I uhm... I don't mind people though.." he glanced up at Rune, "They're interesting, different. Maybe not in large crowds but on an individual level, every person has depths and layers unexplored, things you can't just see. They're more than the sum of their parts, ya know?" he explained.

message 28: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune nodded. "That makes sense. But crowds... it doesn't feel like individual people. It just feels like there's this massive thing pressing up against you from every direction, trying to choke you and crush you. People can be interesting, but in a group they just fall into being sheep." Honestly, he could argue that was the case even within Defacto. They were all just cruel, bitter, angry or a combination of those. And none more so than Sin. Rune realised, acutely, just how little he actually liked the people in Defacto. "It's so hard to explain in English. I know what I want to say, but I don't know the words to explain it... I feel like I'm not saying the things I want to say." He was thinking too much about the conversation, he should be focusing on manipulating Jameson to believe what he wanted him to. Rune didn't feel like he was in control anymore, and he didn't know what he was trying to say. He couldn't find the words in English – and not really in Thai either. He was floundering, and he didn't like it. Clear your head, breathe.

message 29: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Jameson blinked and set a hand on his arm suddenly, "Hey it's cool - I get it. They're intimidating in crowds, and you can't really distinguish one from the next because you're thinking about the bigger picture, it's overwhelming and... volatile." he replied, leveling his gaze and swallowing, "I... Can relate." he added quickly. "... You don't talk to people a lot, do you?"

message 30: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune shrugged, somewhat calmer now. "Depends how you define talking," he said vaguely, running a hand through his hair. He moved away from Jameson's touch, circling round to stand on the other side of the boy, leaning against the bookshelf. "I don't want to talk about people, though. I want to know more about you. What makes you want to get up every morning?" The change in attitude was noticeable, but he'd deal with that later.

message 31: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

If he were being honest with himself, Jameson should have been suspicious. And he was, he really was deep down just the slightest bit skeptical of Rune. But he also found himself wanting to believe the other - wanting desperately to think him innocent. "I uh.... Why do you want to know more about me?" he suddenly asked.

message 32: by kaya, true neutral (new)

"Because you're interesting," he replied easily, tilting his head back and smiling, the back of his head resting lightly against the bookcase. The position was actually surprisingly comfortable, if you overlooked the edges of the shelf digging into the back of his head. They weren't particularly sharp. "And because I don't know that many people here properly."

message 33: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

His gaze was skeptical, eyes narrowed as he watched Rune carefully. The pose he struck was almost too casual. In fact it seemed as though, to him at least, Rune was trying really hard to be liked. He'd go from genuine to guarded within the blink of an eye. It was unnerving sure but it was also... fascinating. "Oh" he answered, "Okay then what about you? What keeps you going every day?" he asked.

message 34: by kaya, true neutral (new)

"I asked you first," Rune replied instantly, unblinking. "It's not fair to expect me to come up with an answer straight away when you haven't even tried." He needed a suitable answer, one that wouldn't give away too much – but would still give Jameson the illusion that they were becoming closer, and thus give Rune more ammunition.

message 35: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

"uhm" Jameson thought about that for a moment, voice filled with a genuine uncertainty as he considered a few options. "well I... Certainly do like to workout, and studying too. I enjoy studying... Watching people" he explained briefly. There was far more than that keeping him going each day - honoring his family, honoring Addermire, honoring Cara Devries.

message 36: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune looked at the other boy in disbelief. "That's all? Surely you do more with your life than that." He was sure he was hiding something, but he had no idea what it was. "I'd never get out of bed if that was my motivation." Fiddling with the vial in his pocket, he let his eyes drift around the rest of the library, taking in the details of the ceiling. "As for me... routine, mostly. But also I enjoy learning. And, of course, the sooner I graduate the sooner I can go home and see my family."

message 37: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Rune sure did like fumbling around in his pocket, Jameson wondered what exactly he was fumbling around with in there but he turned his gaze up as quickly as it'd fallen, nodding, "You want to go back there? The mundane world? After seeing Portermount?" he questioned, perplexed by that thought. Typically people never wanted to leave.

message 38: by kaya, true neutral (new)

Rune shrugged, "My family are there. There's nothing I'm particularly attached to here. Honestly, the only reason I came here in the first place was because going to a decent mundane school would either have required a six-hour commute or a lot more money than my family had." He ducked his head and stared at the floor, wondering why Jameson was so easy to talk to. "I don't miss the people, really, but I mean– are the people here any better?" It was times like this when he started to question why he was working for Defacto. And this job was rapidly becoming confusing, difficult and frustrating – something he hadn't anticipated and didn't like in the slightest.