2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Heir of Fire > Question C

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Jul 10, 2018 04:25AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Celaena and Rowan's relationship is very contentious at first, but changes over the course of the story. What did you think of their initial attitudes towards one another? What facilitated the change in their interactions? What did you think of Rowan before and after this change?

message 2: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 180 comments I wasn't surprised that Celaena and Rowan clashed. Every person Celaena has ever had to work with has been a battle. In Assassin's Blade she had a lot of rivalry with Sam. In The Glass Throne she butted with Chaol. So this issue with Rowan wasn't that unusual to me. Both Rowan and Celaena had to made adjustments to become friends so they could work together.

I wasn't too sure about Rowan because of his commitment to Maeve. I did warm up to him once he realized Celaena wasn't exactly who he thought she was. The more he got to know Celaena the more I liked him.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Maas does have an affinity for the enemies to lovers trope, doesn't she?

Yes, Rowan initially viewed Celaena as a spoiled brat. I think his attitude changed when he saw the scars on her back and realized that she had been a slave. He was still a hard taskmaster but understood that there was more to her than meets the eye.

Rowan's blood oath with Maeve was definitely an obstacle to his trustworthiness. I'm still not sure about his reasons for taking it - was it simply penance for his guilt over his wife's death?

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments Rowan seems like an all work, no play sort of person. He takes his orders from Maeve very seriously, for good reason. Him and Celaena are both stubborn and clash so much because of it. I agree that he did see her as a spoiled brat, but her scars got him thinking. As did his scars for Celaena. I think there may be more to his reasons for his blood oath to Maeve than meets the eye.

message 5: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 83 comments Since she was acting as a spoiled brat in the beginning Rowan wasn't looking any further. And I understood his reaction to her.
When she started to change and he found out about her past the relationship could develop.
Getting to know Rowan and his past made some of his reactions understandable. I'm really curious how this will continue.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Lieke wrote: "I'm really curious how this will continue"

Me to. I really want to know more about his past and why he took the blood oath.