2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Heir of Fire > Question A

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Jul 10, 2018 04:29AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments The narrative in this installment is presented from several different POVs and includes 4 separate plot threads -
1) Celaena's journey toward self-actualization
2) Manon Blackbeak's introduction and training with the wyverns
3) Aedion Ashryver and Chaol's steps to initiate a resistence
4) Dorian and Sorscha's romance

Which was your favorite and why?

message 2: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 180 comments I'm connected more with Celaena so I was really hoping to get back to her part of the story every time it switched. However, I really liked Manon's story as well. I thought her evolvement was interesting through the book. She started cold and, well, soulless, and ended up saving a competitor and bonding with a wyvern no one wanted. I don't think she is as heartless and soulless as she was supposed to be.
I really like how complex the characters are in this series. What you see is not necessarily what you get.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Those are good points about Manon, Christina. I actually enjoyed her parts of the book the most. I liked the evolution of her character and her bond with Abraxis.

Celaena's part was good too,but I felt that some of the descriptions were repetitive and overly detailed.

I never really felt the connection between Dorian and Sorscha, and realized early on that she was going to die.

The resistence storyline was good too and I'm very interested in Aedion's character.

message 4: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 180 comments I was pleasantly surprised with Aedion's character. He was in a similar situation as Celaena, having to serve the very man who destroyed their land and people. I'm hoping someone will save him before the kind kills him.

I wasn't involved at all in the Dorian/Sorscha thing. Looking back I could see how it wasn't being developed as much as some of the other storylines, at least on a personal level. I didn't connect with Sorscha and wasn't moved by her death. Perhaps knowing she was going to be killed off prevented Maas from developing this storyline more.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, Aedion is very intriguing. I enjoyed the insights into his character and that he wasn't simply a tool for the King. I really hope he doesn't get killed ...

That's a good point about Dorian and Sorscha's romance being underdeveloped. I really didn't feel the love or intimacy between them that I did between Celaena and Chaol in the previous book.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments Celeana's journey will always be my favorite, especially now that Rowan is involved. I like his character and look forward to learning more about him.
I also didn't see Dorian and Sorcha's romance going very far, but I felt for him when she was killed.
I agree that Manon's character is developing well, but her story seemed like a distraction for me. I know that it will all come together though.
Chaol and Aedion's interactions were great and I'm also hoping that Aedion makes it out alive. Him and Celaena will make quite the team.

message 7: by Lieke (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:38AM) (new)

Lieke | 83 comments My favourite parts where Celeana's and the resistance. Athough sometimes a bit to much repetition.
I liked learning more about the witches, but I knew where it was going from the beginning. I also liked Sorscha, but the romance part felt off to me.

message 8: by Lauren (last edited Aug 07, 2018 01:32AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Interesting that we all found the romance aspect lacking. Perhaps if there had been more development and intimacy here, I would have felt worse when Sorcha was killed.