New Providence Memorial Library's Online Reading Group discussion

Libraries Rock 2018 > Libraries Rock - Week 3

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Providence (last edited Jul 09, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

New Providence (npml) | 302 comments Mod
Voting is currently open on the PBS Great American Read website for America’s most-loved novel. There is no limit to voting on the PBS site, except that you can only vote once a day. Narrowing your votes down to just a few titles or series, which would you vote for and what criteria would you use? Which title(s) that you haven't read would you most like to read?
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
I'd choose titles I loved when I read them, but also when I reread them years later: Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, The Great Gatsby, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and The Sun Also Rises. I'd most like to read The Book Thief, Don Quixote, and One Hundred Years of Solitude.

If you comment by the evening of Sunday, July 15, you will be entered in the drawing on Monday, July 16, for a gift certificate donated by Chopt, one of NPML's Adult Summer Reading Sponsors.

message 2: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments New Providence wrote: "Voting is currently open on the PBS Great American Read website for America’s most-loved novel. There is no limit to voting on the PBS site, except that you can only vote once a day. Narrowing your..."

I really liked "The Book Thief". A friend sent me a copy when I was ill when it was first published and loved it. Years later it was a book club selection and I thought I'd just browse it - well, I read every word again!

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments I really liked "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". So many read and liked that difficult to choose just one to vote on.

Some of the titles I've read years ago and would like to read them again, however, "too many books, too little time". I rarely re-read a book because I've so many books out of the library right now, and a bookcase full of books I bought or were given to me that I've not even opened. So, doubt I'll re-read any of the titles on the list.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy | 28 comments Just going through The Great American Read list is fun. Counting how many I've read, books still on my list or bookshelf and the great collection of genres is amazing. I agree that I don't reread because of too many unread possibilities but some of my favorites are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Book Thief, and The Help. Happy Reading!

message 5: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments i printed the 100 books titles :) some on my bucket list , some i have no interest it (ummm, how did 50 shades of gray get on this ?) is it quality or book sales or cultural impact ? (i guess some combo... "most loved")

some of my all-time * fiction * faves, though i read more non-fiction:

the book thief
all the light we cannot see (surprised that didn't make the list !)
a million nightingales
the invention of wings
the good earth
the good lord bird
the lowlands
confessions of an ugly stepsister
mudbound
extremely loud and incredibly close
to kill a mockingbird
catcher in the rye
most books by geraldine brooks
most books by paulette jiles

message 6: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments https://www.pbs.org/the-great-america...

here's the link to watch :-)

message 7: by New Providence (new)

New Providence (npml) | 302 comments Mod
Sangeeta wrote: "i printed the 100 books titles :) some on my bucket list , some i have no interest it (ummm, how did 50 shades of gray get on this ?) is it quality or book sales or cultural impact ? (i guess some ..."

Interesting question! I've also heard confusion over why the list isn't just American writers, but since half of my favorites are British, I'm not complaining.

message 8: by K (new)

K | 33 comments You guys are killing me! If I hadn't've known about the list, I wouldn't be putting even more books on my growing "to read" list. Which has been mostly growing because I don't commute via train much anymore (which was the absolute BEST reading time). Can't think of the last book I actually sat down and read. Miss it much.

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments New Providence wrote: "Sangeeta wrote: "i printed the 100 books titles :) some on my bucket list , some i have no interest it (ummm, how did 50 shades of gray get on this ?) is it quality or book sales or cultural impact..."

Sangeeta - I too wondered how some of the titles got on the list! Especially 50 Shades. Forgot what other books I thought "HUH?" Never thought about some of the authors not being American.

message 10: by Charu (new)

Charu G (charuag) | 1 comments I just finished reading Trevor Noah - Born a crime and it was a real pleasure. While I had theoretical knowledge of what Apartheid was all about, this book gives an up close narrative of what it really is in real. While Trevor continues to take us through his very difficult childhood, his tone remains light hearted. A very fast paced memoir that I would recommend everyone to read.