Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

Song of the Sparrow
This topic is about Song of the Sparrow
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Buddy Reads > Song of the Sparrow - Starting July 23, 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
Blazing Readers: Please post at least four comments related to the book here (spoiler tags preferred) to earn your bonus points.

The year is 490 AD. Fiery 16-year-old Elaine of Ascolat, the daughter of one of King Arthur's supporters, lives with her father on Arthur's base camp, the sole girl in a militaristic world of men.

Elaine's only girl companion is the mysterious Morgan, Arthur's older sister, but Elaine cannot tell Morgan her deepest secret: She is in love with Lancelot, Arthur's second-in-command. However, when yet another girl -- the lovely Gwynivere-- joins their world, Elaine is confronted with startling emotions of jealousy and rivalry. But can her love for Lancelot survive the birth of an empire?

message 2: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here's another one Coralie and I have been talking about buddy reading for while, and just got around to. xD We're open to anyone else who wants to join us.

message 3: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Update: We're pushing back the buddy read until the 23rd.

message 4: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
Muahahahahahhaahh! I'm so excited for this one! I really hope you like it. Course, I'm kind of obsessed with Camelot and Arthurian legend.

message 5: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (last edited Jul 21, 2018 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just read King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table this year for school, so I'm prepped. xD

message 6: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "I just read King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table this year for school, so I'm prepped. xD"

*promptly and not-so-discretely adds to check-into list* XD That's awesome!

message 7: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm about halfway through, and I'm about to go to the library for an hour or two to read, so I might finish it. xD You weren't kidding when you said you could read it in a day.

I love the cross between prose and poetry. It surprised me at first, but now I'm starting to get into it. And there's a nice combination of romance and a bigger, more serious, issue. The characters are well-developed. I'm enjoying it.

message 8: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "I'm about halfway through, and I'm about to go to the library for an hour or two to read, so I might finish it. xD You weren't kidding when you said you could read it in a day.

I love the cross be..."

Hah XD Girl, I told you. The poetry took me by surprise too the first time I read it. Like, I opened the book as was like, "Oh, it starts with a poem like a lot of books do as an intro. Cool." Several pages, I finally thought, "Huh? How long does this go on?" I thumbed through the book and was like, "Oh..." XD But it's well-written and I didn't feel like I was reading straight up poetry, you know?

message 9: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was like that too! Ha, I flipped through wondering when it would switch more to prose, but it never did!

message 10: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished. xD Should I classify it as historical fiction, fantasy, or both?

It was a good book with a beautiful story. I'm going to have to look into Lisa Ann's other books. I loved it! It was a good length; it was concise while telling the full story. I can definitely see why it's one of your favorites.

message 11: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "I just finished. xD Should I classify it as historical fiction, fantasy, or both?

It was a good book with a beautiful story. I'm going to have to look into Lisa Ann's other books. I loved it! It w..."

I've never read any of her other books, actually, but I'd love to check them out! Umm...you know, I don't think I'd classify it as historical fiction, so...I guess fantasy?

message 12: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I also have realistic-fiction. What d'ya think? xD

Where are you? :-)

message 13: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter three...it's been a...uh...long day. XD I'm reading now/babysitting my brother. Hopefully, there won't be anymore interruptions from the fam.

message 14: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okay. xD

message 15: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love seeing how the events of their past effected Elaine and Lavain each differently. And some of these descriptions are really neat too. There was one that kind of reminded me of The Goose Girl, but I didn't stop to write it out XD I can go back and find it, I'm sure.

What did you think? Did you enjoy it? Who did you ship? What did you think of Gwynivere? What about Lancelot and Tristan? Girl, the first time I read this, I THREW the book across the room when Lancelot called her a child!! I hid under my covers, turned my light out, and waited until my heart slowed down and my face stopped burning before I promptly turned the light back on and finished the book that night XD

message 16: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, the descriptions are very well-written! That's part of why I called the book both poetry and prose. It really is a neat combination of both.

I loved the book! It was well-written, with interesting characters and a solid plot, without being elongated; it was paced well. Oh, gosh, ships. Hmm. At the start I kind of shipped Lancelot and Tristan, and then when he said that I was like "No, okay, who else can we ship her with?" xD And when Tristan helped her get back at Gwynivere, I was kinda like "Ok, he's good. He's the one." And I don't think I ever went back to Lancelot, even when he apologized. Gwynivere was a good character. She stirred up conflict in just the right places and helped guide the readers toward the ending without being too obvious. I thought it might be jealously; I mean, she kept insulting Elaine for being wild, but then she took off her heavy dress like Elaine after little convincing, which tipped me off.

message 17: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm halfway through. Just got to the part with Lancelot! I died all over again XD I forgot how beautifully crafted the descriptions of Gwynivere are! And, like, I know why she's being a jerk since I've read it, but honestly, she's pretty rude right off the the bat without even giving Elaine a chance! And Lancelot, you puppy dog!! Ugh, his green eyes *melts* *cries* XD Honestly, I never even thought to ship her with Tristan the first time around because I know the Tristan and Isolde legend/myth, so I was default shipping him with her. It didn't even occur to me, though maybe it should have. They even play into the whole Tristan and Isolde thing, which just fed my subconscious notions! Oh, and Gwynivere is so well done! Agreed! Plus, I'm a huge fan of the Lady of Shalott, so, this book is like all of my favorites--Camalot and Tristan/Isolde and Lady of Shalott--all crammed into one. So much love!

message 18: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

*tries not to gush* I FREAKING LOVE THIS BOOK! Just left a nice long review. :-) It's so beautifully written and the relationships are so endearing. The themes and the story melt my heart. Ugh, I wanna read it again!

message 19: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie wrote: "I'm halfway through. Just got to the part with Lancelot! I died all over again XD I forgot how beautifully crafted the descriptions of Gwynivere are! And, like, I know why she's being a jerk since ..."

See, I don't know that much about all the legends of Arthur and Merlin and Lancelot and everyone, so this was almost entirely its own story for me. I still loved it, though. Do you have any specific recommendations for those legends?

message 20: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie wrote: "*tries not to gush* I FREAKING LOVE THIS BOOK! Just left a nice long review. :-) It's so beautifully written and the relationships are so endearing. The themes and the story melt my heart. Ugh, I w..."

Yes, the themes are very well-woven into the story. It has clear themes without being preachy, y'know? It's still a full story.

message 21: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agreed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.