Reading the 20th Century discussion

Favourite Authors > Beryl Bainbridge

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10643 comments Mod
Nigeyb has been good enough to update our list of forthcoming books, including buddy reads. It seems a while away, but, in December we are planning a Beryl Bainbridge buddy read, so I thought she deserves a thread of her own.

Here are the list of books, as they stand at the moment:

August 2018

The Grand Babylon Hotel - Arnold Bennett (Group Read - 1900's)
The Magician - W.Somerset Maugham (Mod Read)
Mid-August - The Riddle of the Sands - Erskine Childs (Buddy Read)
Mid-August - Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie (Buddy Read)

September 2018

Mid-Sept - A Different Class of Murder: The Story of Lord Lucan by Laura Thompson (Buddy read)
Mid-Sept - The Priory by Dorothy Whipple (Buddy read) (TBC)

October 2018

Mid-Oct - Aiding and Abetting by Muriel Spark (Buddy read)
Mid-Oct - Fidelity by Susan Glaspell (Buddy read) (TBC)

November 2018

Mid-Nov - As Time Goes By by Derek Taylor (Buddy read)
Mid-Nov - The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (Buddy read)

December 2018

Mid-Dec - An Awfully Big Adventure by Beryl Bainbridge (Buddy read)

As you can see, in December, we plan to read:

An Awfully Big Adventure An Awfully Big Adventure by Beryl Bainbridge

This was shortlisted for the Booker prize in 1990

It is 1950 and the Liverpool repertory theatre company is rehearsing its Christmas production of Peter Pan, a story of childhood innocence and loss. Stella has been taken on as assistant stage manager and quickly becomes obsessed with Meredith, the dissolute director. But it is only when the celebrated O'Hara arrives to take the lead, that a different drama unfolds. In it, he and Stella are bound together in a past that neither dares to interpret.

Any fans of Beryl Bainbridge in the group? I will admit that I have not read too many of her novels, but look forward to reading more.

message 2: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 10399 comments Mod
I've only read one of her books, The Bottle Factory Outing, which I really enjoyed. I look forward to reading more.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have a couple of hers on my wish list, but haven't gotten to them yet.

Master Georgie and
The Birthday Boys.

message 4: by Hugh (last edited Jul 10, 2018 03:44AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 752 comments The only one I have read is An Awfully Big Adventure. I enjoyed that and should read more, especially as one of my long term goals is to read as many Booker long and shortlisted books as possible, and she was a perennial Booker bridesmaid.

message 5: by Val (new)

Val | 1709 comments I have read several over the years. I haven't found a dud yet, although I wish she had finished The Girl in the Polka Dot Dress.

message 6: by Susan (new)

I have read Awfully Big Adventure, Polka Dot Dress, Young Adolf, Every Man for Himself. Looking forward to re-discovering her through the group.

message 7: by Lynaia (new)

Lynaia | 468 comments I haven't read any by her yet but I do have a 3 book collection on my Kindle. Unfortunately, Awfully Big Adventure isn't included so I'll have to buy it if I want to join in on the read. Her books seem to go on sale in the US somewhat regularly though so hopefully I'll luck out and get it in a sale before then. She definitely looks interesting.

message 8: by Judy (last edited Jul 10, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4675 comments Mod
I've read quite a few books by Bainbridge but would have to say she is more a favourite of my Dad's than of mine - he grew up in the Liverpool area around the same time (he is a few years younger than she was). I did like An Awfully Big Adventure, and also the film, which has an interestingly different role for Hugh Grant.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Every Man for Himself Every Man for Himself by Beryl Bainbridge 99p today.
Titanic is one of my, many, obsessions, so have snapped this up - think I read it some years ago. It's only short, if anyone fancies pushing a buddy read in somewhere?

Elizabeth (Alaska) Looking forward to the December buddy read of An Awfully Big Adventure. I picked up a copy recently when it was a kindle deal.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Hurrah! I'm looking forward to it too, Elizabeth :)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 683 comments I haven't read any of Bainbridge, but obviously knew of her. I have well over 15 of her books so making a start here may be good. However the run up to Christmas may very well slow me down.

message 13: by Susan (new)

It's fairly short at 208 pages, on kindle....

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-...

Here's a review to tempt anyone thinking of joining it.

message 14: by Lynaia (new)

Lynaia | 468 comments I haven’t read anything by Beryl Bainbridge before but I’m looking forward to December’s read. I’ve actually picked up several of her books on Kindle when they’ve been marked way down so hopefully I really enjoy her writing.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4675 comments Mod
There's a good film too, with Hugh Grant before he became typecast - though he is now breaking out of the typecasting.

message 16: by Susan (new)

message 17: by Nigeyb (new)

I thoroughly enjoyed The Bottle Factory Outing, and at 99 pence it's a steal

Thanks as always Susan

message 18: by Susan (new)

I haven't read it, but have snapped it up.

message 19: by Nigeyb (new)

I hope you like it Susan. I'm pretty confident you will.

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 683 comments That was the first one I knew I had,until l looked some more and was hoping it would turn up here as the buddy read. But then found some others , one of which was picked. Must get to it sometime.