The Bibliophiles discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month > August BOTM Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

August is almost here (Agghh where has the year gone?!) and it's time to decide on our next BOTM. I thought we would do something easy this month and just choose books that start with the letter 'A'. This can be from any genre and it can be something you've read or haven't read. Just throw in your suggestions below and let's see what we come up with!

Happy reading!

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bamitsbeth) | 2 comments Anne Franks Diary 😍

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Hello everyone!

August is almost here (Agghh where has the year gone?!) and it's time to decide on our next BOTM. I thought we would do something easy this month and just choose books that start..."

Arctic Chill
by Arnaldur Indriðason (Although this is book 7 in a series each book works well as a stand alone.)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather I have to ask a stupid question--- Is the A count in books with a title like: A Hidden Fire, or does the A have to be an actual word?

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3 comments American Devil by Oliver Stark

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Sure Heather!! That counts too!

message 8: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 58 comments I would like to recommend Afterlife by Marcus Sakey.

message 9: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 19 comments Hello. I'm not sure what you've read in the past, but how about either "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik, or "Circe" by Madeline Miller?

message 10: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 58 comments Lois wrote: "Hello. I'm not sure what you've read in the past, but how about either "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik, or "Circe" by Madeline Miller?"

According to the instructions above, the book's title must begin with an "A."

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather OK, I'd like to suggest A Hidden Fire. I have read other books by this author and have really enjoyed them. And it is about a library --- great subject for us bibliophiles !

message 12: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 19 comments John wrote: "Lois wrote: "Hello. I'm not sure what you've read in the past, but how about either "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik, or "Circe" by Madeline Miller?"

According to the instructions above, the book'..."

Thanks for that. I missed those instructions.

"Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb or "Alanna: The First Adventure" by Tamora Pierce.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (awhit99) Ashes by Isla J Bick

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I am recommending A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. It was the very first book that came to mind when I saw the theme for this month! Plus, the writer died last year and I've wanted to get back into reading this series, as a sort of tribute -- starting from the very beginning with book 1, which is this one :)

message 15: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Butler | 2 comments I suggest either A History of the World in 6 Glasses or And Then There Were None. I've read And Then There Were None and really enjoyed it and I'm currently reading A History of the World in 6 Glasses and it is super interesting!

message 16: by Janina (new)

Janina (janinaeliina) What about Autumn by Ali Smith? After all, autumn is coming... I haven't read the book yet but it has been on my reading list for quite a while now.

message 17: by Sumant (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:38AM) (new)

message 18: by mara0b (new)

mara0b | 14 comments I just got Autumn by Ali Smith and would love to read it with the group!

message 19: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Kehoe (welshbookfairy) | 15 comments I have a few suggestions! All of these are on my to read or to buy list. I have only included stand alones or the first instalment to a series apart from After You by Jojo Moyes, which is the sequel to Me Before You and a book that I really need to buy seeing as I have Still Me on my bookcase waiting to be read. Anyway:

- All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
(YA, Contemporary) A girl learns how to live from a boy who wants to die.

- A Kingdom of Exiles by S.B. Nova
(Fantasy) An unusual & gifted girl is snatched by fae and condemned to a life of chains.

- A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
(Mystery, YA) Meet Sherlock Holmes great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited his ability of deduction.

- A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge
(Fantasy, Historical Fiction) Sometimes when a person dies, their spirit goes looking for other people to possess.

- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
(Fantasy, YA) Kell is a magician with the rare ability to travel between parallel Londons.

- A Berlin Love Song by Sarah Matthias
(Historical Fiction) A Romani trapeze artist and a German Soldier fall in love.

- Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett
(YA, Contemporary) Bailey's arch nemesis could become the guy of her dreams.

- An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
(YA, Contemporary) Colin's type seems to be girls called Katherine. Unfortunately, each of the nineteen Katherine's has dumped him.

- Autoboyography by Christina Lauren
(YA, LGBT) Tanner Scott was nudged temporarily back into the closet, until he notices Sebastian, the Mormon prodigy.

- After You by Jojo Moyes
(Fiction, Chicklit) Louisa Clark has to struggle to move on after her transformative six months with Will.

- All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai
(Sci Fi) 2016 for Tom is a techno-utopium, until a time travel mishap results in Tom landing in our 2016, which he considers a dystopian wasteland.

- A Messy, Beautiful Life by Sara Jade Alan
(YA, Contemporary) Life is funny for Ellie sometimes. Like that one time a guy tries to kiss her and she falls over. And then found out she had cancer.

I realise there's a lot of YA! But it's completely changed since I was a teenager from fluffy literature to contemporary companions and I am so happy about it! I've tried to write a mini synopsis for each book and a link to the GoodReads page so readers can find out more if any of these peak their interest, regardless of whether they get picked for August BOTM.

message 21: by Sadaf (new)

Sadaf (sadafrasouli) Here are some of the books in my to-read list that start with A (I’m not sure which of them you’ve read before):

A Moveable Feast
It is a memoir by Ernest Hemingway about the years he spent in Paris in 1920s.

All the Light We Cannot See : Set in occupied France during World War II, the novel centers on a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths eventually cross.

A Thousand Splendid Suns : A family drama by Khaled Hosseini American-Afghan novel, the author of The Kite Runner

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather Wow, how are we going to choose? :-)

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Heather wrote: "Wow, how are we going to choose? :-)"

It is always VERY difficult to decide what to pick lol. I usually stay up very late trying to decide and I still end up feeling guilty about leaving so many great books off.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather Lisa wrote: "Heather wrote: "Wow, how are we going to choose? :-)"

It is always VERY difficult to decide what to pick lol. I usually stay up very late trying to decide and I still end up feeling guilty about l..."

It is a hard job, but you can do it..... LOL.

message 26: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) I second the recommendations by Makena (And Then There Were None) and Sadaf (All the Light We Cannot See) which are also on my to read list.

message 27: by Kesef (last edited Jul 11, 2018 08:21AM) (new)

Kesef | 1 comments All the King's men by Robert Penn Warren
All the president's men by Bob woodward

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Kesef wrote: "All the president's men by Robert Penn Warren"

I love this book and have reread it many times. Especially relevant right now.

message 29: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) Just browsed through my to read list. What about "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson? I just thought of this because all the science related posts we've been having in the threads. :)

message 30: by Sakshi (new)

Sakshi Jain I have been wanting to read "A very English Agent" by Julian Rathbone for the longest time

message 31: by Sakshi (new)

Sakshi Jain Also,
"All that I Am" by Anna Funder
"A week in Winter" by Meave Binchy

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 13 comments I second All the Birds in the Sky!

message 33: by Trina (new)

Trina  (trinanycolbrown) Shannon wrote: "All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood"

Agreed, I've been wanting to read this. It was BOTM's 2016 BOTY.

message 34: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 12 comments Ruth Ozeki's "A Tale for the Time Being" is a great book.

message 35: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Wow, there are soo many nominations this month!!!!

May I add Alice's Adventures in Wonderland ?

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Dustin wrote: "Wow, there are soo many nominations this month!!!!

May I add Alice's Adventures in Wonderland ?"

Great suggestion!

message 37: by Raghav (new)

Raghav (logophile1618) | 31 comments I’ll go with Whitney’s suggestion, I’d really love to read that

Emily (RecordofaBibliophile) (recordofabibliophile) A court of thorns and roses
All the light we cannot see
These are both on my tbr list

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Just a heads up everyone, I will be posting the poll tomorrow so if you have any last minute suggestions, please get them in!

message 40: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 3 comments All Around the Town by Mary Higgins Clark

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) I agree with "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman

message 42: by Michelle M. (new)

Michelle M. | 99 comments Mallory wrote: "All Around the Town by Mary Higgins Clark"

I love Mary Higgins Clark!

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Alright everyone, so apparently, in my rush to get the poll posted and the message sent out the night before I left for our week long vacation, I failed to realize that there was an error and none of it posted or sent. I will be sending out a message to update everyone and to let everyone know the poll is up and that we do not have as much time to vote as usual. I will also be closing the suggestion thread after this message is posted. Thank you all and so sorry for the inconvenience.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.