2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7)
This topic is about Murder on Lenox Hill
Murder on Lenox Hill > Question I

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Rachel Upchurch molested Billy and became impregnated by him but was able to escape retribution for being a child predator. Your thoughts on this? Do we still have the same points of view about female predators? Was it right to keep her pregnancy from Billy?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments We definitely have the same views today. No one wants to believe that a woman would molest a child and too often excuses are made for them.

In terms of keeping the pregnancy secret from Isaiah, it is the right thing to do for him. The boy has been traumatized enough and knowing he fathered a baby with the woman who molested him wouldn't do him any good.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
I agree about our views of female sexual predators though it may be slowly shifting. Remember Mary Kay Letourneau? There was more outrage because she was pregnant by a 13-year old and not as much that she sexually molested the boy. At least the courts took it seriously but even they were more lenient than they would have been if the gender roles were reversed.

I also agree that keeping the pregnancy a secret from Billy was the prudent thing to do. Who knows how his exploitation will manifest itself in the future? Having a son connecting him to his predator would damage him even more.