SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Dying of the Light
This topic is about Dying of the Light
What Else Are You Reading? > "Dying of the Light" by George R.R. Martin (BR)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvana (last edited Jul 08, 2018 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments
Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

GRRM and scifi! 12 more days!

Who's in? Let the roll call begins.

message 2: by Don (new)

Don Dunham I always give GRRiM a chance, because he is a great writer and is one of the few celebritys I'd like to meet.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Yay, Don!

Ashley, are you there? Well, she probably has not come back from her holidays 😕

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments I AM IN!!

This has been on my 'To-Read' shelf for ages, just waiting for the right time. LET'S DO IT!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Fantastic! I am excited to read this since it has been a really long time since I read GRRM's non-ASOIAF work.

message 6: by Bobby (new) - added it

Bobby | 869 comments I don't know if I'll be able to get to this in time, but I haven't read anything by Martin that isn't ASOIAF, and I really want to.

I put the e-book on hold, and I'm number one on the list. I've got between 1 and 21 days before I get it, so we'll see if I'm ready to read it when it comes in.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments I hope you can get this book, Bobby.

Well I just read a few pages and already sunked in. Martin does that to you.

message 8: by Bobby (new) - added it

Bobby | 869 comments Silvana wrote: "I hope you can get this book, Bobby.

Well I just read a few pages and already sunked in. Martin does that to you."

I still have it on hold from my city's library, but my county has a separate library system, and I was able to check out the e-book there. Timing has worked out, and I'll be able to start today. I've been reading slow lately, but we'll see if I get hooked.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments I've started it, the preface is enthralling.

message 10: by Bobby (new) - added it

Bobby | 869 comments I'm only about 6% in, but already waiting for the horrible deaths to come. Maybe I'm scarred from ASOIAF, but I am not letting myself get attached.

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Funny. I am not attached yet to Dirk. Maybe because he was (view spoiler) But that is just my first impression. I am still at 10%.

I just realized that the novel is set in Martin's Thousand Worlds universe. His more well known stories/novels like A Song for Lya and Tuf Voyaging are also set in the same 'verse.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments Does Celia Marcyan and her Shadow Chaser appear in any other GRRM books?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Yes she appeared in Bitterbloom, one of the stories in the anthology Dreamsongs vol 1. Which is a great anthology since it also has many other Martin's best scifi stories like Pear Shaped Man and Sandkings.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments 26%

I am bored. This is a planetary romance and while the description of dead cities were interesting the romance part was not. I could not care less about who gets Gwen at the end. Anyone feels the same?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments I am humoring myself by identifying the details in this book that might become the inspiration of characters or events in ASOIAF.

- Kavalar society: Dothrakis, bloodriders, complete degradation of women/slaves, macho culture
- Jamis-Lion Taal: Jaime Lannister
- The darkness: The Long Night
- to be continued

message 16: by Robert (last edited Jul 26, 2018 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments 9%

My reading is proceeding slowly, mainly because I am reading an old paperback copy and my eyes are not what they used to be (man, that makes me sound old) I wish this was on audio. (I checked Hoopla and my library, no luck)

Dying of the Light by George R.R. Martin One interesting note, my copy has a picture of three of the characters and the planet. It's pretty interesting. You can see much of the detail mentioned I the book.

message 17: by Robert (last edited Jul 28, 2018 02:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments 27%

Martin sure has created a sprawling and varied world, each city so different. I agree w. Silvana that the whole romance plot is not so interesting, but I am hoping some good old fashioned action and adventure will stimulate the plot.

But the cities ARE fascinating.

BTW, let us PLEASE not post any SPOILERS, for those of us who may not be as far advanced in the book.

message 18: by Bobby (new) - added it

Bobby | 869 comments I'm going kind of slowly on this one, so I'm just at 15%. It's not the book, I just don't have a lot of reading time right now. There is a lot of world building and set up so far, so I'm hoping we get a little more action going. Martin does a great job with descriptions and personalities of characters, so it's easy to "see" the characters in my mind, which is always helpful for me.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments 34%

I am also a slow reader. The research into the history of the Kavalar race and why their society acts as it does is fascinating.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments I had to speed up my reading since I was so bored. I found the novel to be mostly experimental. But I see Martin has grown so much as a writer since this novel's characters did not work for me unfortunately.

message 21: by Ashley (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:14AM) (new) - added it

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Silvana wrote: "Yay, Don!

Ashley, are you there? Well, she probably has not come back from her holidays 😕"

Silvana, I am so sorry!! Please forgive me. I got so behind due to vacation - I didn’t finish any of the books I wanted to finish before vacation, started two books during vacation that I’m still not very far into, and am still trying to catch up! 😭 I am so sad that I missed out on reading this with you, and although it appears some are still reading it, I’m afraid I won’t get to it soon enough. I’ve gotta cut back on committing to buddy reads until I get caught up, but I’m definitely trying to make sure I can at least start Ammonite on time (Aug 15) since I initiated that BR. I’ve also still got Into The Drowning Deep to finish, and I haven’t even started Sea of Rust, or The Bone Doll’s Twin..they’re just sitting on my nightstand waiting for me. So many books, not enough time!!!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Haha no worries, I think some are reading it. I too will be behind with my reading since I just started my holiday. Funny how holidays tend to reduce my reading time... 😆

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments 38% in and I finally cracked the spine. looks like some action is finally going to happen with the duels. o_0

message 24: by Bree (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments Just managed to pick this one up from the library - so won't be reading the thread til I get into it a little!

message 25: by Bree (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments 50% - The history in the prologue is amazing. Not just decades, but epochs of history skimmed over in a couple of pages. GRRM is certainly a master at world building.
Is this romance? I’m not getting that vibe. I’m getting a man desperate for what he lost, and a woman using that desperation to help get herself out of a sticky situation, but I’m not seeing romance at all.
Have just reached a place where it looks like the MC is going to have to actually show some spine. Until now, I haven’t been impressed with him.
The descriptions of the various cities, and the history/myth of the Kavalar society are so detailed. GRRM knows how to use few words to draw a picture. Eg: “the fat red sun”.
Struggling a bit to stay interested in the storyline.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Glad to know you are enjoying the book. As for the romance, maybe I am more sensitive since I tend to avoid romance in SFF.

The cities description was indeed awesome. Which one is your favorite?

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments 48% - I agree with Bree, half way through, just when you think something interesting is going to happen, the author takes a left turn.

The city of Challenge is really well envisioned, and I am not surprised at all that (view spoiler)

message 28: by Bree (last edited Aug 10, 2018 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments Silvana wrote: "Glad to know you are enjoying the book. As for the romance, maybe I am more sensitive since I tend to avoid romance in SFF.

The cities description was indeed awesome. Which one is your favorite?"

I loved Kryne Lamiya with it’s song blowing mournfully through the place day and night. And it’s (view spoiler)

Have finished the book now and while I nearly threw away my pen because I could never build worlds like GRRM, I realised that the story was very basic, so I held on to my pen, secure in the knowledge that even if I can’t worldbuild that good, I can still tell a rollicking story.

I actually found it a bit sad, really. (view spoiler)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments 73% - So I am taking my time, I don't you I was a slow reader, The plot is starting to move along and the we are getting to the climax point. It occurred to me that the whole mess was due to the fact that Dirk picked the wrong car to hotwire.

message 30: by Bobby (new) - added it

Bobby | 869 comments Unfortunately I'm kind of stalling on this one. I keep reading other things and pushing this one aside. I still plan to keep going, but I haven't been reading as much anyway, so it's taking a while.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments 87% - Death permeates this story. Just when you think you have it figured out, GRRM throws you a curve ball.

message 32: by Robert (last edited Aug 24, 2018 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments Finally finished, Whew! One little thing kept bugging me during the hunt and finale of the book. With all the great technology they have at their disposal, one obvious thing was missing... (view spoiler) Just a small plot hole that itched at me.

Oh yeah, one more thing... I didn't even notice there was a glossary until I had reached the end of the book, so it was of no use to me during reading. Thanks for nothing GRRM!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Robert and Bree, I admire your endurance in finishing this book. I think I would need a reread someday. You guys pointed out things I never really thought.

Bonnie | 929 comments Bree wrote: "50% - The history in the prologue is amazing. Not just decades, but epochs of history skimmed over in a couple of pages. GRRM is certainly a master at world building.

Is this romance? I’m not getting that vibe. I’m getting a man desperate for what he lost, and a woman using that desperation to help get herself out of a sticky situation, but I’m not seeing romance at all.
Have just reached a place where it looks like the MC is going to have to actually show some spine. Until now, I haven’t been impressed with him..."

I second your entire comment above.

At 25%.
Why does Gwen have to pick either or any of these yahoos to be with? Go back to Avalon on your own and enjoy being a single lady. Become an Ecology professor.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Hi Bonnie, I wish I could answer it, but it's been so long since this BR has ended and I have forgotten all the details.

I hope there is someone else who can read it together with you or remember enough details :)