THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > New to fiction?? Anyone has tips on characters descriptions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Bush | 8 comments I wrote my very first fiction, adventure romance book ' She fell in love in this Amazon forrest while on a mission ' find it on Amazon
I released it just a few days ago, I spent maybe 3 months on and off, I wanted to adventure myself in this unknown to broader my writing and allow my plot to fly but this is still very new to me, I know I could have done much better On my character descriptive and development but I didn't have enough vocabulary and wanted to pursue my main story. Does anyone has possible tips ???

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy McKitrick | 7 comments Read at least 100 books in your genre. That should give you a start and show you what you need to work on. Then search for on-line classes on the craft you want to make better. There are LOTS of on-line classes (via e-mail or forums) you can take that don't cost a lot of money (many are given by a chapter of Romance Writers of America). You just have to search for them (and you usually don't have to be a member to take the classes, either).

message 3: by Noor (new)

Noor Al-Shanti | 5 comments Not sure what kind of tips you're looking for, but my biggest tip would be to start writing the next one. I wrote several stories and novels before even trying to publish and I'm very glad I waited. Your writing will naturally improve over time. Read more. Write more. Experiment.

If you can go back and read something you wrote a year ago and you still like it, or still think it's good enough, then it might be time to start thinking about putting it out there. I often find that I write things and then when I go back to read them a while later I either have no idea what I was thinking or I can see a lot of flaws in the writing so I don't bother publishing those whether the idea is good or not, whether I've spent a bunch of time on it or not.

Also, the threads in these types of author groups can be very helpful for your when you're starting out. They were for me. So browse these groups and see if you can pick up any tips.

Anyway, good luck.

message 4: by Jim (last edited Jul 10, 2018 10:06AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic The most important aspect of character development in any fiction genre is that each character be unique overall and believable.

Too many novice writers inadvertently present characters that think alike, talk alike, and act alike. Diversity and individualism are what make real life scenarios so interesting and challenging. The same characteristics must be instilled in fictional scenarios if they are to be perceived as interesting and challenging.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Edward | 3 comments I keep an MS OneNote for my books and I have a page just for characters. I write descriptions of my main characters- backstory, emotions, motivations. For secondary characters I keep a running list and maybe 1-2 sentences about who they are (Mayor of Funkytown, gave our heroes the magic key). Knowing your main characters informs the writing, even if it doesn't make it onto the page- how would an only child/orphan/bully who is timid/resourceful/hot-headed react.

As I write and I add more detail, I copy it to the OneNote to stay consistent. In chapter 3 we learn the guy who runs the store is from Florida. Maybe in chapter 30 that becomes important.

message 6: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 9 comments What Stacy said in post #2, read, read, read and take some writing classes.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bates (sarahbates) | 83 comments I use the same general method as Robert, but use a simple Word doc to do it. Both of my published novels have multiple characters so keeping track of them started as a list that grew into a personal bio for each for major characters, and a simplified bio for walk-ons. The novel I'm working on now has fewer characters, but six of them are a protagonist, so their bios are very detailed. Character development takes time, though, but is often more important to the story than the plot.

message 8: by Jim (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:12PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic The best indication that an author has succeeded in creating and portraying realistic and believable characters is when posted reviews include comments stating that the reader was able to personally identify with a character, knows or knew someone exactly like a certain character, or were truly devastated when a character suffers and/or dies.

The portrayal of each character's personal traits must be consistently maintained throughout the story. Professional editors will quickly identify and point out instances when one of the characters in an author's work may act in such a way or says something that is blatantly antithetical.

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Bush | 8 comments Thanks Nor,Jim, Robert,Sarah and Jim you all have given me great advices and here is what I learn from it: consistency within the characters throughout the storyline, make sure they are believable and unique, decide in wic h chapter a certain characters will develop, read more genres, details bio on the main ones and use me note along the way... Great I think I can do better now thanks guys for your help