What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

With Folded Hands...
This topic is about With Folded Hands...
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Classic SciFi Short Story where robots won't let people do anything "Unsafe". [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gj (new)

Gj Echternkamp | 7 comments This was a short story from an anthology book, at the time I was reading a lot of Cordwainer Smith, Cyril Kornbluth, Frederick Pohl, "Best of Fantasy of Science Fiction" 1950's books, etc. The story involves a man in the future who has very little freedom because omnipresent robots deem almost everything as "unsafe". He goes on a personal mission to stop the robots and change this prime directive, maybe even ending up at the A.I. HQ. It's a pretty memorable satire... but no amount of googling is giving me any results!

Justanotherbiblophile | 1813 comments I can't believe Andy didn't suggest Williamson's The Humanoids (there are a number of stories and books, as well as some homages).

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott I believe it is "Compassion Circuit" by John Wyndham. I read it in 13 Great Stories of Science Fiction.

message 4: by Gj (new)

Gj Echternkamp | 7 comments Justanotherbiblophile wrote: "I can't believe Andy didn't suggest Williamson's The Humanoids (there are a number of stories and books, as well as some homages)."

Yes! It is Williamson's story "With Folded Hands." Thanks for the tip!

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Damn, I was sure I was right! Well, if you want something else on the same theme, there it is!

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2104 comments Justanotherbiblophile wrote: "I can't believe Andy didn't suggest Williamson's The Humanoids (there are a number of stories and books, as well as some homages)."

I was out of town!